Hey Friends– I thought I would post this low FODMAP chicken pot pie recipe that I whipped up for Russ and I last week. I used a few short cuts–I bought a plain rotisserie chicken (ingredients=chicken only), FODY foods chicken soup base, and Whole Foods Gluten Free bakehouse pie crust.
You can prep the filling in advance which makes this recipe a bit more convenient on a busy night.
You’ll find the pie crust in the frozen foods section. The pie crust is inside a pie shaped tin but I just rolled it out and cut in strips over the tarragon-infused chicken and vegetable filling.
This is such a hearty comfort food dish. Russ and I ate almost the whole chicken pot pie! Ha! This will serve 2 hearty servings–or up to 4 people.
And disclaimer–the pictures reveal very clearly that I am not a pastry chef. 🙂 But, rather this is real life in the Kate Scarlata kitchen!
That being said, the flavor is amazing and I bet you can do a better job making this look like a good looking chicken pot pie! Feel free to share your gorgeous pictures with me on Instagram!
Low FODMAP Chicken Pot Pie
- Serves 2-4 people, depending on hunger level
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cut or shredded into bite size pieces (I used a plain rotisserie chicken)
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into bite size rounds
- 30 green beans, trimmed and cut in thirds
- 2 tablespoons frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon garlic infused oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoon gluten free flour blend (I used Trader's Joes GF flour blend)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter (can sub in olive oil)
- 2 cups suitable chicken broth (I used Fody foods chicken soup base)
- 1/4 cup lactose free milk
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 Gluten free pie crust, rolled out into 1/4 inch thickness, cut into strips 1 inch strips (I used defrosted Whole Foods Gluten Free All Butter Pie Crust)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In 9 x 9 square or 9 inch diameter round casserole dish, add cut chicken.
- In medium skillet, add garlic oil and carrots, cooking for about 2 minutes.
- Add in green beans and peas, cooking for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add vegetables to casserole dish with chicken.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, add gluten free flour and butter (or oil), making a roux. Slowly add chicken broth and raise heat to medium high to thicken chicken sauce. Add in milk and tarragon. When sauce becomes gravy-like consistency, remove from heat and add to chicken and vegetable mixture.
- Stir mixture to combine.
- Add defrosted pie crust onto parchment paper, roll into flat crust. Cut into 1 inch strips, add on top of chicken vegetable mixture in criss cross pattern. (You may have some crust leftover)
- Bake for 30 minutes.
4 replies on “Low FODMAP Chicken Pot Pie“
Chicken pot pie looks delicious! What is a flour blend?
To thicken the sauce I just used Trader Joe’s gluten free flour blend–it is a gluten free blend of flours that are suitable on the low FODMAP diet. You can sub in brown rice flour but I tend to have the GF blends in my house.
Any way to make this vegetarian instead of the chicken / broth?
Vegetable pot pie?
Any way to make a vegetable pot pie, without chicken/broth? Thanks for everything.
This recipe is truly for the meat eater. Sorry!
Comments are closed.