Hey Friends! I was asked by one of my Instagram followers to create a low FODMAP slow cooker chicken recipe and I came up with this Cuban Mojo Chicken.
After traveling to Miami last weekend to speak at a Gut Microbiome and Diet conference and eating the most flavorful chicken dish at a Cuban restaurant, I was inspired to try a similar recipe at home.
Mojo chicken is typically made with a garlic and citrus sauce. I subbed in garlic infused oil to make this suitable for those with sensitivity to garlic on the low FODMAP diet. I used my zester to add a little orange and lime zest, which adds another dimension of flavor.
I used boneless and skinless chicken breasts for this recipe. I added the uncooked chicken breast directly to the slow cooker. You can also choose to sear the chicken in a skillet first, if you desire some browning of the chicken.
I created a nice flavorful sauce with orange and lime juice, garlic infused oil, cumin and oregano. I also added a little crushed red pepper flakes for just a little heat, but you can opt to leave it out too.
I served this citrus and garlic-y chicken with a side of brown rice that I dressed up with sliced green scallions (green part only) and diced fresh tomatoes. You could also shredded the chicken and use it as taco style meat in a corn tortilla with shredded lettuce and red cabbage or even use the mojo chicken inside a lettuce wrap topped off with a little rice.
The citrus garlic marinade is quite flavorful and tenderizes the slow cooked chicken. So good.
Slow Cooker Cuban Mojo Chicken (low FODMAP)
- Serves 3-6
- 3 good sized boneless/skinless chicken breast halves (about 1.5 pounds)
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice (1 fresh orange)
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice (1 fresh lime)
- zest of orange and lime (about 1 teaspoon each)
- 1/3 cup garlic infused oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional -can sub in parsley
- Brown rice, cooked, (about 1 cup cooked per person)
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 -2 scallions, chopped in rounds (green part only)
- In small bowl, mix orange and lime juice, garlic oil, oregano and cumin. Add salt and pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes, if using.
- Pour marinade into slow cooker set on low heat and add chicken.
- Cook chicken for 1 1/2 hours or until cooked through and fork tender.
- Top chicken with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with side of rice topped with tomatoes and scallion greens.
- Add a spoonful of the residual sauce from the slow cooker over the rice and chicken.
2 replies on “Slow Cooker Cuban Mojo Chicken (low FODMAP)“
Thank you for this! I am going to make it this week. So handy for busy week nights. The citrus twist sounds delicious.
Comments are closed.