For some reason, I have been seriously craving Chicken Tortilla Soup…I have been dreaming up how I could make this easy for my FODMAPers with a sensitive tummy. This was the easiest soup ever…and next time I will use rotisserie chicken and make it even easier!
I chopped and diced some chicken breast and sauteed it in a little olive oil. In another skillet, I added some olive oil, corn niblets and seasoned with a bit of cumin, chili powder (FODMAPers use chili powder without onion), and sea salt. Then I added some fire roasted tomatoes to the corn, a splash of chicken broth, a handful of chopped fresh green beans and finally my browned chicken. I also threw a big handful of arugula, ’cause I had some in the fridge. I tossed in a heaping tablespoon of canned green chili peppers too (but that is optional!) I love the smoky flavor the fire roasted tomatoes brings to this recipe.
After the soup simmered for a few minutes, I placed it into bowls and topped with grated cheddar cheese, tortilla strips and a few slices of avocado. Outrageously tasty! Now….Why don’t you make some?!
- 1/2-1 pound boneless chicken breast (cut in bite size chunks (I use about 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken to save time) Add more or less chicken depending on your preference.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup corn niblets (I used frozen) (FODMAPers keep portion to 1/2 cup per serving)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (FODMAPers use without onion)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt, to taste
- 1, 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen or Trader joe's)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (FODMAPers use home made)
- 1 cup green beans, chopped and trimmed (I used fresh but frozen could work)
- 1 handful of arugula or baby spinach
- 1 heaping tablespoon green chilies, canned
- 1/2 cup finely grated Cheddar cheese for topping
- Tortilla strips (I used, Fresh Gourmet Tortilla Strips, lightly salted, found in salad section) or can use crunched up tortilla chips, for topping
- Avocado slices (FODMAPers limit to 1/8 avocado per serving)
- Cilantro, chopped for garnish, if desired
- In medium skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken allow to brown on all sides and cook through, about 5-7 minutes.
- In another medium skillet or large sauce pan, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add corn niblets, chili powder, cumin and sea salt. Stirring to sauté and season the corn.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth and green beans to corn mixture, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken, arugula and green chilies, if using, to the corn mixture and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Divide soup into 4 serving bowls.
- Top with grated Cheddar and handful of tortilla strips.
- Garnish with avocado and cilantro, if desired.