For some reason, I have been seriously craving Chicken Tortilla Soup…I have been dreaming up how I could make this easy for my FODMAPers with a sensitive tummy. This was the easiest soup ever…and next time I will use rotisserie chicken and make it even easier!
I chopped and diced some chicken breast and sauteed it in a little olive oil. In another skillet, I added some olive oil, corn niblets and seasoned with a bit of cumin, chili powder (FODMAPers use chili powder without onion), and sea salt. Then I added some fire roasted tomatoes to the corn, a splash of chicken broth, a handful of chopped fresh green beans and finally my browned chicken. I also threw a big handful of arugula, ’cause I had some in the fridge. I tossed in a heaping tablespoon of canned green chili peppers too (but that is optional!) I love the smoky flavor the fire roasted tomatoes brings to this recipe.
After the soup simmered for a few minutes, I placed it into bowls and topped with grated cheddar cheese, tortilla strips and a few slices of avocado. Outrageously tasty! Now….Why don’t you make some?!
Sante Fe Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1/2-1 pound boneless chicken breast (cut in bite size chunks (I use about 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken to save time) Add more or less chicken depending on your preference.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup corn niblets (I used frozen) (FODMAPers keep portion to 1/2 cup per serving)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (FODMAPers use without onion)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- sea salt, to taste
- 1, 14.5 ounce can fire roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen or Trader joe's)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (FODMAPers use home made)
- 1 cup green beans, chopped and trimmed (I used fresh but frozen could work)
- 1 handful of arugula or baby spinach
- 1 heaping tablespoon green chilies, canned
- 1/2 cup finely grated Cheddar cheese for topping
- Tortilla strips (I used, Fresh Gourmet Tortilla Strips, lightly salted, found in salad section) or can use crunched up tortilla chips, for topping
- Avocado slices (FODMAPers limit to 1/8 avocado per serving)
- Cilantro, chopped for garnish, if desired
- In medium skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
- Add chicken allow to brown on all sides and cook through, about 5-7 minutes.
- In another medium skillet or large sauce pan, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- Add corn niblets, chili powder, cumin and sea salt. Stirring to sauté and season the corn.
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth and green beans to corn mixture, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add cooked chicken, arugula and green chilies, if using, to the corn mixture and simmer for another 3 minutes.
- Divide soup into 4 serving bowls.
- Top with grated Cheddar and handful of tortilla strips.
- Garnish with avocado and cilantro, if desired.
4 replies on “Sante Fe Chicken Tortilla Soup“
This is soooo good! I made this tortilla soup yesterday, it was so easy and tastes so good.
Oh Kathi So glad you liked it!!
I haven’t been on your blog in a while. I’m so glad I checked it out today because your recipes are the best. Thanks for looking out after your FODMAPer’s. I’ll make the Sante Fe Chicken Tortilla Soup this wkend. Hope all is well with you.
Thanks Karen. Yes, the soup was a family favorite. Easy and yummy. 🙂
Comments are closed.