Hey Friends. I hope all is well in your world. I have been busy creating recipes and well…eating. Ha! 🙂
I have been quite busy in grad school too…I have 2 final projects due in the next couple weeks keeping my head in the books.
You may or may not know this about me–but I made my own wedding cake. I am a bit of a DIY kinda girl. I took a class at a Boston bakery called Rosie’s Bakery–and learned the basics of cake decorating and how to make the best ever buttercream frosting. How does this fit in with today’s post? Well, today’s low FODMAP recipe of the day is Carrot Cake Waffles with a drizzle of maple lactose-free cream cheese frosting and toasted pecans and… my wedding cake was a carrot cake. Are you a carrot cake fan too? Check out the carrot cake waffle yumminess in the video my son Brennan helped me put together.
Needless to say…carrot cake is my all-time favorite cake. Carrots are free of FODMAPs (per Monash University FODMAP app) and full of nutrition (beta-carotene, fiber, potassium and many anti-oxidants)! So… why not make carrot cake waffles with a lovely cream cheese maple frosting to start your day? The waffles can be made in advance and frozen (just wrap in plastic wrap to protect from freezer burn). We, however, love to make them and eat them right up!
Yum! I used Green Valley Organics lactose free cream cheese in the frosting along with pure maple syrup and confectioner’s sugar. This combo is just perfect! I am a big fan of Green Valley products and many are low FODMAP certified by FODMAP friendly. So…hooray for that!
If you don’t have a lactose free cream cheese option at your local grocers, you can sub in regular whipped cream cheese and just drizzle 1 tablespoon or less of the frosting to keep recipe low lactose.
- Makes 4 waffles (though may vary depending on waffle maker)
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tablespoons butter, melted or vegetable oil
- 2/3 cup lactose free milk
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend (I used King Arthur Gluten-free Measure for Measure flour blend)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (use gluten free, if following GF diet)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 ounce lactose free cream cheese (Green Valley brand)
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Whisk egg, butter/oil, and milk in medium bowl.
- Add in GF flour, sugar, baking powder, soda and dash of salt.
- Fold in grated carrots and cinnamon.
- Prepare waffle maker with light coating of oil and turn on to heat up.
- Add waffle mix to waffle maker about ½ cup mixture per waffle or as directed on waffle maker (can vary).
- While waffle cooks, make frosting.
- In medium bowl, add cream cheese and maple syrup, beat with electric beaters until creamy. Slowly add in confectioner’s sugar.
- If using pecans, toast them in a skillet over medium heat for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Drizzle top of waffle with frosting and about 1 tablespoon chopped pecans