I LOVE summertime fruits! And….berries are on the top of my list! Are you with me?
Today I made a blueberry and strawberry crisp. No special occasion…just craving a smattering of sweet stuff.
Fruit crisps, to me, are the most perfect comfort food dessert! Oats, butter, brown sugar and cinnamon are definitely good starters but I perked up the crisp with some coconut and pumpkin seeds too.
I had some strawberries and blueberries in the fridge so cleaned them up and tossed them in my little vintage dish [I love this little casserole dish!] with just a sprinkle of sugar and some cornstarch. Typically I would add some lemon juice too, but I didn’t have any fresh lemons :(.
Here it is baked up and ready to eat! Try to wait a few minutes to let it cool a bit…if you can!?
Ready to dive in…
I made my crisp with fresh fruits but frozen fruits work well too…just partially defrost in the refrigerator or add a few extra minutes to the cooking time.
Berry Crisp (Fodmap-friendly)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup strawberries, hulled and cut in bite size pieces
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Juice of half a fresh lemon
- Sprinkle of corn starch
- CRISP topping
- 1/4 cup flour (I use oat flour and recommend that for low FODMAP diet)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 TB butter, cold
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- dash of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons hulled pumpkin seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Add berries to small casserole dish.
- Sprinkle with sugar and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with cornstarch (about 1/2-1 tsp)
- Set aside to make crisp topping.
- In medium bowl, add oat flour, brown sugar and butter and using a pastry blender mix into crumb-like texture.
- Add in oats, cinnamon, pumpkin seeds and coconut to mixture.
- Sprinkle crisp topping on top of berry mixture.
- Bake for 35 minutes until fruit is bubbling and topping is lightly browned.
One reply on “Berry Scrumptious Crisp“
I was whining to myself the other day that I could no longer eat apple or peach crisp…BOOHOOO!!!! Now…this shows up…THANK YOU! I am looking forward to making this and enjoying some taste of summer again!
Comments are closed.