Hello from Chicago!
I spoke yesterday at The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Centennial Meeting taking place this week in Chicago about the potential use of the low FODMAP diet for athletes that experience GI distress. Over 12,000 dietitians are here learning about health and nutrition research and trends. It’s been referred to as the Superbowl for dietitians!
Before I head out for the day, I wanted to take a few minutes to share my latest recipe. Drum roll>>>>>>>Chocolate Avocado Waffles!
Avocado is used INSTEAD of the butter or oil with my DIY Low FODMAP & Gluten Free Waffle Mix.
Let me start with this…be open about the notion of adding avocado to chocolate because once you indulge in the flavor…well…let’s just say, you can thank me later.
Avocado is a great source of healthy fats and can be included in the low FODMAP diet in a portion up to 1/8 of an avocado per serving.
If you haven’t made my DIY Low FODMAP & Gluten Free Waffle mix yet…you can try subbing in your favorite gluten free waffle mix in this recipe…it should work as a suitable substitute. BUT, you might just want to be sure the recipe will work out and make up my DIY mix…you’ll save a few bucks and have it on hand for other recipes I will post using the mix.
Chocolate and Avocado Waffles make a yummy breakfast with a side of lactose free yogurt or can be enjoyed as a fun dessert or snack too. I honestly made them mid-day and had a little field day for myself. 🙂 YUM!
I mean, who doesn’t need a little chocolate yumminess around 3 PM?
These waffles freeze well or can be stored in your fridge for a couple days. Wrap in plastic wrap to keep them fresh. I reheat by placing them in a skillet to toast up the edges a bit. Most waffles I make and freeze, I reheat right in my toaster to add life back to them…but these waffles have some chocolate chips–which could melt inside your toaster–which might not be a great idea.
Chocolate Avocado Waffles
- Makes 4 waffles--serving size 1 waffle
- 2 tablespoons ripe avocado, mashed
- 1/4 cup cocoa (I used Hershey's Cocoa--special dark)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Gluten Free Waffle Mix (I used my DIY Low FODMAP & Gluten Free Waffle Mix-search my blog)
- 2/3 cup lactose free milk
- 2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- Dress up with butter, strawberry slices and sprinkle of confectioner's sugar
- Prepare waffle maker by lightly oiling and heating as directed.
- In medium bowl, add mashed avocado, cocoa powder and egg, mixing to blend.
- Add in waffle mix and milk, stirring until mixture is smooth.
- Fold in semi-sweet chocolate morsels.
- Pour batter into waffle maker and cook as directed on waffle maker (times may vary depending on size of waffles)
- Dress up waffles with butter, strawberry slices and confectioner's sugar, as desired.