There are many versions of Quinoa Fried Rice recipes online but most contain many FODMAPs. I was inspired to try this recipe from one of my blog followers. I adapted my own low FODMAP version of Quinoa Fried Rice. This recipe was a big hit at my house. I have prepared it twice now! 🙂
If you prep the quinoa in advance this recipe whips up in about 15 minutes. I use my julienne peeler to cut the carrots and zucchini into long thin strips, which allows them to cook up quickly.
I added 4 scrambled eggs to boost the protein, you could also fold in sliced grilled chicken, cooked shrimp or tofu.
To season the mixture, I used reduced sodium tamari (soy sauce), sesame oil, ginger and chili paste (without any garlic or onion.). What’s great about this recipe is that you can add the veggies you may have on hand such as green beans, bell peppers, or mung bean sprouts, for instance. You could also toss in some salted peanuts or toasted pine nuts for a little crunch. You can leave out the chili paste if you can’t find one without garlic. It’s a pretty forgiving recipe. You can even sub in rice for the quinoa!
- Yield: 4 servings
- 1 cup red quinoa, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 medium zucchini, cut with julienne peeler (skin and flesh, not the inner seeds)
- 5 medium carrots, cut with julienne peeler
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium tamari (soy sauce)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger (dried) or about 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons chili paste (without onion and garlic, I used Preston & Pierce)
- 4 large eggs, whisked
- 1-2 scallion greens, thinly sliced
- Cook quinoa per package directions, set aside. Can cook and refrigerate for later use.
- In large skillet, add sesame oil and julienned vegetables over medium high heat, gently stirring to cook, about 1 minute.
- Add cooked quinoa (this should be free of any residual cooking water)
- Add tamari, ginger and chili paste (if using), stirring to blend.
- Make a well in the middle of the dish, add in eggs.
- Using spatula or fork scramble eggs, cooking them, and then fold into mixture.
- Garnish with thinly sliced scallions (green part only), if desired