You asked…and I did it! I created a low FODMAP BBQ sauce. This sauce is tasty, sweeeeeet and homemade (sans FODMAPs!) But, I have to admit this was NO easy task! I tried a few times until I got it right.
I am usually pretty good mastering recipes but this one was tricky.
I hope you like it. 🙂
I added some brown sugar, rice wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, a dash of paprika and chipotle chili pepper ( I used McCormick Gourmet Collection), garlic infused oil and some grated carrots (gotta squeeze in a little more good nutrition!)
I simmered on the stove top and then let it cool down a bit.
And blended it in my Ninja blender.
The BBQ sauce is not the typical deep red you may find in a commercial brand as it is free of some of the ingredients that typically give it that deep red color–but it tastes just as good. 😉
I added it to some chicken to make some Pulled Chicken BBQ! But you could also just drizzle it over rotisserie chicken, drizzle over lean pork chops, or use to make a BBQ style pizza with Udi’s gluten free pizza crust (for the FODMAP crowd).
Want the zucchini ribbons too? Recipe is here!
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes (check ingredients FODMAPers)
- 1 Tablespoon Maille Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tablespoon Rice wine vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- dash of McCormick's Gourmet Collection Chipotle Chili Pepper (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Garlic-infused oil
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- salt and pepper to taste
- In medium saucepan over medium heat add all of the ingredients except salt and pepper.
- Simmer sauce for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Shut off heat and let cool down for a few minutes. Taste and season to your liking.
- Carefully add to your blender when no longer hot but slightly warm.
- Blend for a few minutes to smooth consistency.
- For pulled chicken, simmer sauce with 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts and 1/2 cup of water over medium low heat for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. (Add more water as necessary--sauce should remain sauce-like not dried out!
- Shred chicken using 2 forks to pull chicken apart.
And Congrats to our winner, Ashley! You will be getting a low FODMAP booklet in the mail!