Pickling cucumbers are available in most farmer’s markets this time of year…so why not whip up some refrigerator pickles? All you need is a clean covered jar (I used a quart size mason jar), 3 medium unwaxed Kirby Cucumbers (thinly sliced), along with ingredients to make a flavorful brine: water, vinegar, sugar, + Kosher salt, plus pickling spices/herbs– I used mustard seeds, coriander seeds, fresh dill and few whole cloves. This mixture provides a nice flavor that doesn’t overpower the cucumber.
We will enjoy these yummy pickles over the July 4th holiday!
Have a great holiday to all my US friends and followers. 🙂
- 3 medium size Kirby cucumbers, washed
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- option: add 1/4 teaspoon turmeric for color
- Prepare 1 quart glass mason jar by cleaning and drying.
- In medium, non-reactive saucepan such as stainless steel pan, add water, vinegar, sugar, salt, mustard seeds, coriander seeds and cloves over medium heat until lightly boiling.
- Stir mixture and heat until salt and sugar dissolve. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, thinly slice cucumbers. (I used a mandoline slicer to create thin, evenly sliced cucumber rounds.)
- Place sliced cucumbers into jar (if you can't fit all the cucumber slices, you may find you can add more slices to the jar after you add brine, in next step)
- Pour warm (but not hot) brine over pickles.
- Add dill.
- Place cover on jar and shake jar lightly to disperse spices and brine. Let cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate pickles and enjoy pickles in 3-24 hours; consume within 2 weeks.