Say hello to berry season. I love this time of year!
Okay, the local berries are not quite yet available for picking but they will be very soon! The markets are offering fresh berries at a lower cost this time of year…which makes me very happy!
I was totally craving some berry yumminess… so look what I made..
To make the cobbler more decadent, I added some So Delicious vanilla coconut ice cream on top and a handful of chopped walnuts. Soooo goood. My husband said he’d call this cobbler, “Living the Dream Cake!” Ha! 🙂
The cobbler makes 6 servings and I baked it up in my cast iron skillet. You can bake this recipe in a pie plate instead if you don’t have a cast iron skillet. I used strawberries and blueberries in this recipe. Since strawberries contain less FODMAPs than blueberries–I just used a bit more strawberries than blueberries in the recipe.
I really don’t like to get too fussy in the kitchen. I like meals and treats I can whip up fairly easily. Are you with me?
This cobbler was easy to prepare and super fun to eat. 🙂 I ate some before dinner. Don’t judge. 😉
I love a dessert that contains some nutritional powerhouses. The nutritious berries and walnuts are good for gut health! So for a dessert, I say this one is healthy-ish! Yay for that.
In other news…
- I will do a recap of Digestive Disease Week in the next couple of weeks.
- Dietitians–be on the lookout for the Today’s Dietitian Webinar on Nutritional Management of IBS featuring Dr. William Chey and yours truly–this will be offered on June 28!
- We just set the date for a patient workshop in Medway, Massachusetts–October 19th! If you live in the area (or want to fly in!) and want to learn more about gut health, the low FODMAP diet and much more–pencil the date on your calendar! More to come!
- Serves 6
- Berry mixture:
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 1/2 cup small to medium size strawberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon GF flour
- Cobbler topping
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend ( I used King Arthur GF measure for measure)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup lactose free milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (choose a GF brand if following GF diet)
- 1 egg
- 1-2 scoops suitable low lactose ice cream ( I used So Delicious Coconut Vanilla Bean non-dairy frozen dessert)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In 10 inch cast iron skillet or pie plate, add berries, 1 teaspoon sugar, lemon juice and 1 tablespoon GF flour, stir to combine.
- In medium bowl, add 1 cup GF flour blend, 1/2 cup sugar, lactose free milk, melted butter, baking powder and egg. Blend together with fork until consistency of pancake batter.
- Add cobbler mixture over top of berries by the spoonful, leaving some berries uncovered.
- Place in oven and bake for 20-30 minutes. (Frozen berries will take closer to 30 minutes while fresh berry mixture will cook between 20-25 minutes).
- Garnish with a couple scoops of suitable ice cream and chopped walnuts if desired.