Happy holiday season, my friends!
I love today’s simple and fun recipe…. homemade 4 ingredient peppermint patties! Yahoo!!!
Peppermint patties are such a delicious and refreshing treat! I like making mini-size patties like a Junior Mint sized mint…..but make the patties the size you desire.
I mixed sifted confectioner’s sugar with mint extract (which can be a bit tough to find this time of year!) and melted coconut oil. The thick and creamy blend is molded into the inner patty of your chocolate covered treat.
A nice dip in a dark chocolate bath and maybe a sprinkling of some crushed candy canes or a nonpareils, if you desire, and voilà … you’ve got a fun & festive low FODMAP & gluten free holiday treat! 🙂
These do require some time to set in your fridge or freezer….so be sure to set aside the extra time to make this recipe. Enjoy!
Homemade Peppermint Patties
- Serving size: 1 medium size patty or 2-3 mini patties
- 2 cups SIFTED confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons mint extract
- 1 1/2 -2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted (I melt the chocolate carefully in microwave)
- Decorations: suitable crushed candy canes or nonpareils
- In medium bowl, blend confectioner's sugar, coconut oil, and mint extract until creamy.
- Place mixture in refrigerator for about 30 minutes to slightly firm up.
- Remove from refrigerator and roll into desired size balls and place on small tray covered with wax paper or parchment paper. Note: if mixture is too crumbly, add small amount of water (1/4 teaspoon or so), until mixture is pliable.
- Flatten ball into patty shape with bottom of hand.
- Place tray in refrigerator to set patties, about 30 minutes.
- Melt chocolate (I melt in microwave safe bowl about 1 minute per 1 cup of chocolate chips.)
- Remove patties from refrigerator, add one patty at a time into melted chocolate. Using a fork, cover the patty completely with chocolate.
- Allow extra chocolate to fall off the patty through the fork before placing on tray covered with parchment or wax paper.
- Add nonpareils or crushed candy candy on one side of patty, if desired.
- Return patties to refrigerator to set again.
- Once set, place patties in dish, separate layers of patties with parchment paper. Keep patties in refrigerator until ready to enjoy. (can be frozen too).
Next up on the blog…more science posts…and more main dish recipes!
I hope you are all enjoying the holiday season. Be sure not to get too stressed this time of year…stress is not good for the GI tract or your jolly soul!
One thing I have been doing this holiday season… going to spin class with my husband, Russ. It is such a good workout in just 45 minutes. I go at my own pace…no need to be crazy! And it has been so much fun! Russ and I have been following up our class with a big smoothie bowl (we like to split a big one) made of fruit–low fodmap for me, nuts & seeds…and sometimes granola! I hope you are finding ways to fit in some healthy and FUN exercise along with healthy eating. It is so important, especially this time of year, when we tend to be a bit busier than usual.
Of course, it’s all about balance…so enjoy some treats too! 🙂
6 replies on “Homemade Peppermint Patties“
Kate, this looks like a wonderful recipe! Is there something I can substitute for coconut oil?
Some recipes sub in butter. But, I have not tried this.
Thanks Kate. I can not tolerate coconut oil in any form. I will try the butter. Thanks for all that you do.
I am a HUGE fan of Peppermint Patties! Have you tried this with other oils? I don’t like coconut. Can you smell/taste the oil? Thanks for sharing the recipe, Kate!
Some recipes use butter. You would want a fat this is somewhat solid at room temperature. To be honest, the mint extract takes over the flavor.
Yum! I have been having Christmas mint cravings—and Junior Mints were not doing it! I am sure peppermint patties with candy canes will! 😉
Comments are closed.