One of my favorite dishes in the world and one that my Italian father-in-law Tony loves equally as well–if I had to guess–is Shrimp Scampi. Am I right, Tony?
This version is relatively easy to prepare –and most of the work happens in your oven. I love recipes that I can prepare pretty much in advance and then throw in my oven when my guests arrive. This recipe was inspired from a recipe in the Barefoot Contessa’s Back to Basics cookbook–the author Ina Garten has THE best recipes ever!
I have cooked up this recipe twice in the past two weeks….it’s really that good.
I used gluten free rice bread crumbs (wheat tolerant folks can use regular bread crumbs), lemon, garlic infused oil, a bit of butter, parsley, rosemary, salt and pepper. Simple. Yummy. Yay!
- serves 4
- 1 pound frozen deveined and peeled raw jumbo shrimp (21-25 per pound)
- 3 1/2 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1-2 lemons)
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon zest (if you don't own a zester, just use a cheese grater to get the zest)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1-2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 egg yok
- dash of crushed red pepper, if you like it
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (FODMAPer use suitable brand, I used PaneRiso rice bread crumbs)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In medium casserole dish, add shrimp
- Cover with 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic infused oil (save the rest for later), lemon juice and zest.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper and set aside.
- In small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons garlic infused olive oil, butter, parsley, rosemary, egg yolk, crushed red pepper, bread crumbs and a dash of salt and pepper until creamy.
- Spread this mixture over shrimp.
- Bake shrimp for about 30 minutes or until shrimp is cooked through and bread crumb topping toasted.
Double the portion and serve for the holidays. Serious yum.