It’s still officially summer, but I broke out my slow cooker today. I think about slow cooker meals as an essential for the fall and winter ….so I am getting a bit of a jump start! 🙂
I put the slow cooker on high heat and headed off to work for an afternoon client. (Could put on low heat for a bit longer if you desire!)
When I got home, I shredded up the chicken with 2 forks. Using a slotted spoon to remove some of the tomato juice, I topped a heaping spoonful of the chicken mixture on a tostada shell along with some shredded cheddar and baked until melted.
- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 1 box Pomi chopped tomatoes (26 oz)
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper (I use McCormick brand)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced and de-seeded
- 1 red bell pepper, diced and de-seeded
- 8-10 tostada shells
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (reduced fat or regular as desired)
- Garnish: chopped cilantro, avocado slices, and green part of scallion, diced
- Put chicken, tomatoes, cumin, chipotle chili pepper, and bell peppers in slow cooker on high for about 3 hours.
- Turn off slow cooker, using fork shred chicken.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place 8-10 tostada shells on cookie sheet (depending on size of cookie sheet may need 2 of them)
- Using slotted spoon, to remove some of the tomato juice, add spoonful of chicken mixture on top of each tostada shell( about 2 tablespoons of mixture.)
- Top with about 1 1/2 tablespoons of shredded cheese per tostada shell.
- Bake for about 5 minutes--until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with avocado, green part of scallion and/or cilantro.