You may not know this about me but I am a SERIOUS sprinkle collector. When traveling here in the US and even more so when traveling out of the country, I always check out the local grocery store for different sprinkles.
With the upcoming Halloween holiday, I thought I would try baking some gluten free sugar cookies….a dangerous feat…as baking with gluten free flours can be a challenge. Why gluten free? Well, many of my blog followers are on a special diet [low FODMAP diet] to help with their digestive symptoms and wheat is pretty much a no-no. The low FODMAP diet incorporates some gluten free products because wheat contains both gluten and FODMAPs–so there is some overlap with these 2 diets.
So I got out my gluten free King Arthur flour and added traditional sugar cookie ingredients–confectioner’s sugar, an egg, almond and vanilla extract and a wee bit of potato starch and of course butter.
To create some spooky cookies, I added some eye balls. Every cookie deserves a couple eyeballs—more or less. These eyeballs are low in FODMAPs and gluten free!
I called Wilton, the manufacturer.
For more gluten free sprinkles options, click here!
Meet my scary cookies! Boo!
Halloween should be fun for everyone–even on a low FODMAP diet or gluten free diet!
- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup gluten-free powdered sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 3/4 cup King Arthur's Multipurpose GF flour
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
- 1/2 cup gluten free confectioner's sugar
- 1 TB milk (can sub in lactose free or coconut milk)
- In medium bowl, add butter and confectioner's sugar and blend with electric beater until smooth.
- Add egg and extracts and mix to blend.
- Slowly add in flour, potato starch and cream of tarter while beating on low.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Next day: Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll out dough on parchment paper that has been sprinkled with potato starch or brown rice flour. Roll dough out to be about 1/4-1/3 inch thick.
- Using a cookie cutter that has been dipped in brown rice flour or potato starch, cut shapes out of dough.
- Place cookies on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 5-6 minutes--edges should be slightly brown.
- Let cool before handling--otherwise they are very crumbly.
- Glaze: Simply combine confectioner's sugar and milk and whisk until desired consistency. Should be fairly runny...perhaps the consistency of glue...but it tastes better, I assure you!
- Dip cookies in glaze and add appropriate sprinkles. (read labels on sprinkles to ensure they are gluten free or low in FODMAPs--but I found most in my collection to be OK)