Dear Tony (my Italian Father-in-law),
The meatball recipe I am providing is no where near what you had the pleasure in devouring as a young child of an amazing Italian cook! But, I have to say, I really like my recipe. It’s a little out of the ordinary…but I do think, if you tried them, you’d like them!
Love (your favorite daughter-in-law),
Even though my married name is Scarlata, I am not a big fan of traditional Italian foods so I tend to create my own take on some of their staple foods. So, this week I made meatballs with ground chicken, cilantro and ginger…alot different than your traditional Italian meatball recipe… But these little meatballs truly taste AMAZING!!!!
I buy my ground chicken from Whole Foods Market. Nothing quite compares and I am happy to report, it does not have pink slime. Did you hear about pink slime in the news? Yikes!
This recipe is easy to whip together…you just… mix the ingredients all in one bowl, form into meatballs, bake them up and serve as lunch or dinner with jasmine or basmati rice OR make into smaller meatballs as a tasty appetizer.
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 scallions, diced (fodmap followers-use green part only)
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger or use grated fresh about 2 tsp.
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs (fodmap followers-use acceptable gluten free crumbs)
- Dipping sauces:
- Sesame soy dressing:
- Peanut Coconut Drizzle
- 2 heaping tablespoons all natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup chicken broth (fodmap followers use homemade broth or suitable brand)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon light coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all the ingredients together-best done with your hands to really mix well.
- Form into desired size meatballs.
- Place on cookie sheet that has been lightly oiled.
- Bake until no longer pink in the middle about 15-20 minutes depending on size.
- Serve on platter with toothpicks with dipping sauce if using as appetizer or over a bed of your favorite rice.
- Mix up desired dipping sauce. For peanut coconut drizzle, place all the ingredients in small sauce pan over low heat, stir to blend and cook until sauce is creamy and warm.
Mix and serve alongside meatballs or drizzle over meatballs on a bed of rice.
Or try…the Peanut Coconut Drizzle as above in recipe!
Place meatballs over a bed of rice and drizzle with Peanut Coconut Drizzle OR serve alongside meatballs as a dip.