Growing up, I ate a lot of German style potato salad. My dad immigrated from Germany and his mom, I am told was a fabulous cook. Her German potato salad recipe became a family favorite for me and my siblings for as long as I can remember. We never really had a mayonnaise style potato salad in my house, ever. To this day, I like my potato salad to have a vinegar and oil base.
Today’s post contains a paid marketing link.
I used about 3 pounds of small washed red skin potatoes and boiled them up for about 20 minutes until fork tender. Cooking time can vary depending on the size of the potatoes so do keep an eye on them and cook longer or shorter depending on the size. I sliced the potatoes in 1/2 when cooled, drizzled with the homemade Dijon vinaigrette and topped with the fresh herbs and scallions greens. Keeping the skins on the potatoes ups the fiber and nutrition of the potatoes. This recipe is so easy and yummy. Oh, and this recipe is also low FODMAP and gluten free, too.
This recipe makes plenty of potato salad for a small party (serves about 10) or for leftovers during the week. It is a perfect side dish for a summer BBQ!
My favorite Dijon mustard is Maille original Dijon. It offers a perfect pop of flavor and is made with low FODMAP ingredients and it is also gluten free.
- Makes 10 servings
- 3 pounds small red skin potatoes, washed
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard (I use Maille brand)
- 2 tablespoons sliced scallions (green part only) or chopped chives
- 1/2 cup chopped curly parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Add potatoes to large stockpot. Cover with water.
- Place over high heat and bring to a boil.
- Once water is boiling, boil potatoes for 15-20 minutes, or until fork tender.
- Remove from heat and drain water. Let potatoes cool.
- Meanwhile make up the vinaigrette in small bowl, add vinegar, olive oil and Dijon mustard, whisk to blend. Set aside.
- When cool enough to handle, cut potatoes in half and place in medium bowl.
- Drizzle potatoes with vinaigrette and fold in herbs.
- Salt and pepper potato salad, to taste.
- Serve immediately or place in refrigerator for later use.