Looking for a somewhat fancy side dish to bring to your next party? This Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Galette looks hard to make but is quite easy when you purchase a ready to use a suitable gluten free frozen pie crust. Oh, yes, it is low FODMAP and gluten free too!
I used Whole Foods Gluten Free Bakehouse All Butter Pie Crust for this galette. The ingredients include: butter, sweet rice flour, tapioca starch, salt, baking powder, xanthan gum, sugar.
If you are not familiar with a galette, it is simply a rolled out pie crust filled with your favorite ingredients with the sides of the crust gently folded over some of the filling.
The filling peeks out from the center of the galette. You can make a savory or sweet version. Galettes really are made in a free form kind of way–so no need to be a perfectionist with this recipe. Phew. Since I am a mess in the kitchen, this stye of recipe is right up my alley! 😉
I chose to make a savory sweet potato galette–but sweet potatoes are so versatile and can be also seasoned up with maple sugar or brown sugar, cinnamon and chopped pecans–so don’t be afraid to get a little creative here!
Sweet potatoes are limited to 1/2 cup on the low FODMAP elimination diet–so this is a great way to get that delectable sweet potato flavor and great nutrition–but limited to the low FODMAP portion.
BUT do bear in mind, many individuals I have worked with, have been able to consume more than a 1/2 cup of sweet potato without any digestive distress. So as a friendly reminder, please don’t over-restrict your diet unnecessarily.
Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Galette
- 1 galette; serves 6
- 1 suitable frozen gluten free pie crust, defrosted at room temperature (I used Whole Foods Gluten Free Bakehouse All Butter Pie Crust; found in frozen section).
- 1 1/2 cup diced, baked sweet potato (use flesh only, do not include skin) [about 1 large sweet potato]
- 1/3 cup goat cheese crumbles
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon garlic infused oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup flat parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- On a large piece of parchment, remove defrosted pie shell from tin.
- Using rolling pin, roll out dough into a 10-12 inch circle.
- Move the parchment paper with pie crust on to a flat baking sheet. Trim any excess parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, lightly toss together sweet potato, goat cheese crumbles, walnuts, garlic infused oil, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Add sweet potato mixture to center of pie crust.
- Fold up edges of pie crust toward the center of the pie crust, leaving an opening in the center for the sweet potato filling to be shown.
- Bake galette for about 40 minutes; the crust should be golden brown.
One reply on “Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Galette“
Comments are closed.