I am a big fan of carrots. I love the sweet flavor and the nutrition profile. One medium carrot is rich in Vitamin A, beta-carotene and has a mere 25 calories and 2 grams of fiber. Carrots have no detectable FODMAPs per the Monash app.
If you purchase multi-colored carrots you will ingest a few more phytochemicals with health benefits:
- Orange and yellow carrots are rich in beta and alpha carotene which helps keep our night vision in check.
- Purple carrots offer up some anthocyanins (found in red wine too) as well as beta carotene. Anthocyanins have known heart health benefits.
- Red carrots are rich in lycopene (found in tomatoes too) which may lower risk of prostate cancer.
One of my favorite recipes is my Carrot and Ginger Soup found here. Perfect for a cool fall or winter meal.
Today, I thought I would share another easy carrot recipe, Roasted Carrots with Maple, Yogurt and Almond Topping. The topping is completely optional, roasted carrots on their own are pretty amazing too!
I garnished the top of these carrots with a little finely chopped kale to add an extra color element and nutrition. I am all about maximizing nutrition in every bite!
Enjoy this yummy low FODMAP and nutritious recipe!
I use Greek yogurt in the topping–the amount is low enough in lactose for the low FODMAP elimination diet but of course, feel free to sub in lactose free yogurt too.
I hope you are all embracing the change in seasons. If you have any special holiday recipe or topic requests, please leave a comment! I am all ears.
- 1 lb. carrots (small to medium size, I used multi-color carrots)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Maple Topping:
- 1 tablespoon Plain Greek yogurt (non-fat, low fat or full fat)
- 1 tablespoon creamy almond butter
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons sliced almonds and 2 tablespoons finely chopped kale (can sub in parsley)-optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Line carrots up on the the baking sheet.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Using pastry brush, brush oil evenly over carrots.
- Salt and pepper carrots, to taste.
- Place in oven and roast for 20-25 minutes until fork tender, turn once during roasting time.
- While carrots roast, mix up topping in small bowl, stir together yogurt, almond butter and maple syrup until creamy.
- Chop parsley or kale for garnish, if desired.
- Remove carrots from oven, spread yogurt spread over the middle of the carrots, followed by a sprinkle of sliced almonds and chopped kale or parsley, if desired