I posted a picture of my dinner last week on my Instagram feed and received multiple requests to post the recipe. So….here it is…One Skillet Mexican Chicken and Rice Fiesta! This is such a flavorful meal that can be jazzed up with various low FODMAP toppings (suggestions listed in recipe). In the picture below, I just added fresh cilantro, sliced black olives and a scoop of Greek yogurt (sub in lactose free sour cream if you can’t tolerate Greek yogurt.) A few sliced scallions (green part only) and avocado (limit to 1/8 per serving) are great topping additions to this recipe too.
This dish has become a family favorite, in part, because it only uses one skillet (less clean up) and a uses a few convenience products (saves time!) The original recipe inspiration can be found here. I tweaked the recipe to make it low FODMAP, of course.
I have to admit this meal makes an appearance just about every week at my house, especially on busy nights. The recipe provides a nice balanced meal: Rice (carbs) + lean chicken & cheese (protein) + a mix of vegetables (vitamins, minerals and fiber). If you add some olives and avocado toppings, you will get a nice dose of healthy fats too!
- 6 servings
- 1 pound ground chicken breast (can sub in ground beef or ground turkey)
- 1/4 cup suitable low FODMAP Taco Seasoning or mix 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder (without onion or garlic), 1 1/2 tablespoons cumin and 1/4 teaspoon salt; add a dash of cayenne pepper for some heat if you tolerate it
- 1, 14 ounce can diced tomatoes (fire roasted or plain; no onion or garlic), undrained
- 1 cup frozen plain corn niblets (optional)
- 3/4 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups low FODMAP chicken broth or water (I use homemade chicken broth)
- 1 1/2 cup shredded Colby jack cheese
- Lactose free sour cream or small amount plain Greek yogurt, to your tolerance
- Diced avocado (limit to 1/8 avocado per serving)
- Sliced black olives
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped scallions (green part only)
- In large skillet over medium heat, brown up ground chicken, until no longer pink.
- Add in taco seasoning, diced tomatoes with juice, corn (if using), rice and chicken broth or water.
- Raise heat to high to bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to simmer for 20 minutes, place cover over skillet. Stir half way through cooking time.
- Add cheese evenly over top of meat mixture, replace cover for 2-3 minutes or until cheese melts.
- Add various toppings as desired.