Our hotel overlooks the mountains and the valley of Lucca. We head to Prato for the Gastro Diet conference on Sunday, which should be an amazing conference! I am so honored to be speaking at this event!
The food has been amazing. No surprise. We have been ordering our cappuccinos ‘dry’ which means it is made with mostly the foam of the steamed milk (less lactose). And the portions are much smaller here…so small amounts of treats work better on a sensitive stomach. 🙂
In the spirit of our visit to Italy and all the great food, I decided to share a yummy Italian-inspired recipe that I made low FODMAP for you.
This recipe has been posted all over the internet–but I made it healthier for you!
Chicken Parmesan Meatballs! You’re welcome 🙂
Roll into meatballs and insert a mini mozzarella ball in the middle.
Dip meatballs in whisked eggs and then into gluten free panko breadcrumbs.
Bake them up…and serve in bowl of warmed low FODMAP suitable marinara such as Rao’s Sensitive Formula Marina or homemade marinara without garlic on onions!
- Makes 8 large Meatballs (serving size 2-3)
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic infused oil (plus a little extra to oil pan and to drizzle over meatballs)
- 1 tablespoon Italian Seasoning (or mix of basil and oregano)
- 8 mini fresh mozzarella balls
- 1 cup gluten free panko bread crumbs (I used Ian's)
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly oil baking sheet with garlic infused oil.
- In medium bowl, mix ground chicken, 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and garlic oil.
- Form large meatballs and slip in one of the mozzarella balls into the middle of the meatballs, set aside.
- In small bowl, whisk eggs, set aside.
- Place GF panko bread crumbs in small bowl and add 2 tablespoons of remaining Parmesan cheese.
- When all meatballs formed, dip individually into eggs, then into bread crumbs to create a coat of bread crumbs around meat ball.
- Drizzle small amount of garlic infused oil (about 1 tablespoon) over meatballs, optional.
- Place meatballs on cookie sheet and bake for about 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Can turn meatballs over midway through cooking time to allow more even browning.
- Serve with favorite low FODMAP tomato sauce (such as Rao's Sensitive Formula)