I received a short and sweet email from my father-in-law, Tony with a recipe attached for “Crustless Cranberry Pie”. The email stated, “Mickie thought you might like the recipe,” from your favorite PAPA in law. 🙂
I decided to play with the original recipe though because….that is what I do. 🙂 The original recipe called for 1 1/2 cups of sugar….and I was able to reduce the sugar to just 4 tablespoons! I pulled the wheat flour out and made it gluten free–added some orange zest and vanilla to the topping….and finally used a mixture of frozen whole cranberries and blueberries.
I love nuts too…and this recipe calls for walnuts, a source of heart healthy omega 3s. Here is a great post in the NY times blog on the health benefits of nuts!
Russ and I ate 2 helpings each. But one slice is probably a better idea. I mean, moderation in everything, right!?
- 2 cups frozen blueberry and cranberry mix (or can just use cranberries)
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup flour (FODMAPers: I used Bisquick GF pancake mix but other FODMAP friendly flour should work well) Wheat tolerant folks could use white wheat flour.
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly oil pie plate.
- Add frozen fruit to pie plate and sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons of sugar.
- Sprinkle chopped walnuts evenly over fruit.
- In small bowl, beat eggs and add flour (FODMAPers use: suitable FODMAP blend such as King Arthur GF blend or Bisquick GF pancake mix), butter, orange zest and vanilla.
- Gently spread this thick mixture over the top of fruit.
- Bake for 35 minutes (fruit should be bubbling and topping firm and cooked through.