Of course, once I get an idea in my head, I just have to make it happen.
I have made homemade mustard a couple of times, and found that my favorite is grainy mustard. So, today it’s all about making grainy mustard. I like to use a mixture of yellow and brown mustard seeds. Here’s my brown mustard seeds.
Today, after a night of soaking, my seeds were ready to be whirled in the food processor.
Puree about 2/3 of the seeds with some salt and sugar… blending until it is a nice creamy mustard consistency.
Pop in the fridge for a day or two to let the flavors infuse before you enjoy your homemade mustard. It’s that easy. Makes great gifts, too, for your mustard-loving friends or relatives. 🙂
Simple Homemade Grainy Mustard
1/4 cup yellow mustard seeds
1/4 cup brown mustard seeds
3/4 cup white wine vinegar or your favorite
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
(Perhaps some water to thin if too much of the vinegar evaporates overnight.)
- Place the mustard seeds in glass bowl and cover with vinegar.
- Cover with plastic wrap and leave at room temperature overnight.
- Next day, blend about 2/3 of the mustard mixture with salt and sugar in food processor fit with steel blade for about 5 minutes.
- Fold in the remaining 1/3 grains to make a nice grainy mustard.
- Store in glass jar in fridge for about a couple days prior to using.
I hope you try to make some simple homemade mustard.