Gotta love New England weather, right? It’s been raining here all week and Lucy and I are fed up with it. Rain makes me want to curl up on the couch and stay in all day. Lucy agrees with me!
I joined a CSA, community supported farm, this year and I can’t wait to start receiving all my wonderful, fresh, organic and seasonal produce in just a couple weeks, but honestly this weather feels like winter to me. Cold, dreary days make me think of making a slow cooker meal, so I did just that.
If I make chicken one more time, I think my son Kevin is going to move out, so I opted to try a lean pork dish this time. I love Asian inspired recipes so I decided to create something with my favorite staples.
I like the naturally brewed Tamari, which in the reduced sodium variety, tastes much better than other lower sodium soy sauce products I have tried in the past. I also love the flavor of sesame oil, so that too, is a staple in my pantry. I happened upon some teriyaki sauce in my refrigerator so I thought I would use all three products for this recipe. I often add fresh ginger and garlic to my Asian inspired recipes but this time I kept it real simple. Feel free to experiment!
I picked up this “ready to roll” bag of broccoli, shredded broccoli stalks, carrot shredds and very small amount of red cabbage.
The entire bag of “Eat Smart: California Slaw” added a mere 75 calories, 360% Vitamin C, 270% Vitamin A, and 12% both iron and calcium of the daily value based on a 2000 calorie diet. And added 6 grams of fiber too! Yahoo-that is good stuff!
The finished product tasted pretty great. Loved the veggies! Because even the reduced sodium soy sauce and teriyaki add a boat- load of sodium, serve this dish with a naturally low sodium side dish like brown rice.
Asian-Inspired Slow Cooker Pork with California Slaw
- 1 pound pork tenderloin or lean roast with fat removed, cut into large 2 0z. chunks
- 1/2 cup Teriyaki sauce (your favorite)
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium tamari Soy Sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 oz. bag California Slaw or equivalent (grated carrots, grated brocco-slaw, and broccoli florets, small amount red cabbage)
- Place meat in bottom of slow cooker. Put slow cooker on low heat setting.
- Whisk together Teriyaki, Soy sauce, Sesame oil and cornstarch with fork.
- Toss dressing all over meat.
- Cook on low setting for 6 hours, stir and move meat around a few times during cooking time.
- 5-10 minutes prior to eating, add vegetables, stirring to blend.
- Use fork to shred pork.
- Serve over brown rice if desired