Hey FODMAPers & Friends.
We are still in major BBQ mode at our house… how about you? Today, I am sharing a delicious pumpkin and sesame seed crusted grilled salmon recipe with you. Delicious!
I have been enjoying every moment of this warm weather…along with the relaxed summertime vibe as much as possible. I have been fortunate to fit in quite a bit of time at our Maine cottage as well a trip to Nantucket this summer. If you haven’t been to Nantucket…put it on your place-to-visit list. It is such a special place.
With September lurking in the very near future, I am beginning to gear up for back to school. (Yup..I am taking two classes this fall towards my MPH). I will also be traveling to Ann Arbor, Michigan September 22-24th to participate in the University of Michigan’s GI nutrition program for dietitians called Food: The Main Course to Digestive Health. If you are a dietitian hoping to learn more about the GI nutrition, I highly recommend this program! And, please come by and introduce yourself to me if you register for this event. I’d love to meet you! Click here to learn more.
Today’s post is for all you salmon fans!
We enjoyed this pumpkin & sesame seed crusted salmon this past weekend. I first brushed the salmon with a blend of soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic infused oil and then topped it with finely chopped roasted pumpkin seeds and a few black sesame seeds for additional crunch and color.
Pat the seeds into the flesh of the fish so they stay intact during cooking.
We enjoy salmon about twice a month. It is such a delicious fish that is full of anti-inflammatory omega-3 fats. For additional low FODMAP salmon recipes, check out my Salmon Maple, Mustard and Dill recipe or Grilled Salmon with Asian Mint Dressing recipe. You can also search salmon in the search box on the right side of the blog home page for other tasty salmon recipes. I am also a huge pumpkin seed fan as they are super rich in the anti-inflammatory mineral, magnesium. I use hulled pumpkin seeds A.K.A pepitas in this recipe.
Oh…if you are looking for more BBQ inspired recipes (hey…summer is not over yet!), check out the Cookout with Kate BBQ + FODY box which includes a free downloadable handout with 20 + low FODMAP recipes featuring many FODY food ingredients, 8 delicious low FODMAP certified FODY products, a fun beach ball and navy cooler bag too. Disclaimer: FODY foods is my client and link above is an affiliate link.
Here’s the salmon recipe! As a side dish, we also packaged up baby size red potatoes with a little butter, sea salt and fresh rosemary in aluminum foil and cooked them up on the grill too! A light arugula salad topped with fresh lemon and olive oil pairs well with this dish and rounds out the meal for good nutrition and balance.
- Serves 4
- 1.75-2 pounds salmon filet(s)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons garlic infused oil
- 1/4 cup roasted or raw pumpkin seeds, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (I used black sesame seeds)
- Lightly brush grill rack with oil.
- Then prepare grill, by heating to medium heat.
- In small bowl, mix soy sauce, brown sugar and garlic infused oil.
- Place salmon flesh side up on tray.
- Using basting brush, brush soy sauce mixture onto flesh of fish.
- Evenly spread pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds over fish pressing seeds gently into flesh.
- Place salmon flesh side down on prepared grill and cook for 2 minutes.
- Carefully turn salmon and cook skin side on grill for another 5 minutes or until cooked through. (Cooking time may vary depending on thickness of fish)