FODMAPs Friendly Living!
A few menu and snack ideas to satisfy you and your sensitive belly.
- Oatmeal topped with strawberries and blueberries (about ¾ cup total) and 2 TB. sliced almonds
- Udi’s white bread toasted with thin layer peanut butter (Smucker’s/Teddie brands) topped with ½ sliced ripe banana
- Erewhon Corn Flakes or Crispy Brown Rice cereal with Lactaid or rice milk and ½ sliced ripe banana and 1 TB. sliced almonds or pumpkin seeds
- EnvironKidz Gorilla Munch with lactaid or rice milk and ½-¾ cup blueberries
- Banana pancakes: Namaste waffle and pancake mix or Bisquick gluten free pancake and baking mix prepared with fodmap friendly ingredients and add ½ ripe banana, 1 TB. almonds or walnuts and bake as directed. Drizzle of maple syrup
- Green Valley yogurt-read ingredients avoid if with honey (or other lactose free yogurt) topped with ¼ cup Bear Naked Vanilla Almond granola and ½-1 cup strawberries
- Chappaqua Simply Granola Vanilla and Flax with rice milk and an orange
- EnvironKidz Panda Puffs with rice or lactaid milk and ½ grapefruit
FODMAP friendly Lunch and Dinner Suggestions
- “Rice Bowl”: scoop of brown rice, layered next with chopped Boston lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and green onion (green part only) top with grilled chicken or shrimp, and grated cheddar. Add fresh lemon juice and olive oil drizzle for dressing.
- Tuna Salad Lettuce wraps: Tuna mixed with Hellman’s mayonnaise, lemon juice and fresh dill, served in Bibb lettuce leaves and a side of Baked Kettle potato chips (not the whole bag!)
- Grilled Cheddar, Ham and tomato sandwich (use Udi’s White bread or other fodmaps friendly bread choice)
- Tostada Pizza-Cook 1 lb. ground chicken with 1 TB. chili powder (choose chili powder without onion), 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. paprika and ½ tsp. salt in non-stick skillet. Add ½ cup of water and simmer until cooked through and no longer pink. Top Tostada shell with 2 heaping Tablespoons of meat mixture. Top with sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese. Bake until cheese melts.
- Stuffed Baked Potato: Scoop out hot potato filling and mix with 1 TB. Lactaid milk and 2 tsp. butter. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and mash to blend and place back in hot potato. Top with sautéed red peppers and chives.
- Lean piece of grilled steak (London broil or Flank), Bibb lettuce salad with grated carrots, cherry tomatoes and orange pepper slices with lemon juice and olive oil dressing and roasted potatoes.
- Rice pasta tossed with fresh chopped tomatoes, garlic infused oil (don’t eat the garlic!), and fresh basil. Serve with lean center cut pork chop and sautéed zucchini.
- Quinoa sautéed with red pepper and olive oil and roasted chicken or grilled fish.
FODMAP friendly Snacks!
- Glutino pretzels and cheddar cheese
- Rice cake with peanut butter and ½ ripe banana sliced and topped with few sliced almonds
- Rice crackers and Swiss cheese slices
- Lactose free yogurt (Green Valley) with blueberries and 1 TB. almond slices
- ½ sandwich with Udi’s white bread filled with sliced chicken, Bibb lettuce and tomato slice
- Celery stick filled with peanut butter (just one)
- Lundberg Rice Chips (sea salt)
- Schar Cheese bits
- Schar table crackers with slice of cheddar and 18 grapes
Always read manufacturer labels to verify all ingredients are FODMAPs friendly and work with your dietitian and physician to provide appropriate medical guidance. Research is ongoing in FODMAPs and food analysis so this handout may need to be modified with advances in research.
Copyright-2011 Kate Scarlata, RD www.katescarlata.com