FODMAPs Friendly Living!
PDF to print: Delicious FODMAP Friendly Living Menu and Snack Ideas
A few menu and snack ideas to satisfy you and your sensitive belly.
Delicious FODMAP Friendly Living!
Menu and snack ideas for the low FODMAP diet.
Always check ingredient labels as manufacturers may alter ingredients.
FODMAP friendly Breakfast:
- Oatmeal (½ cup, cooked) topped with strawberries and blueberries (about ½ -1 cup total) and 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts.
- Egg omelet filled with baby spinach, red pepper and cheddar cheese. Enjoy with an orange.
- Udi’s white bread toasted with 2 tablespoons peanut butter (all natural) topped with ½ sliced banana and a sprinkle of chia seeds.
- Erewhon Corn Flakes or Crispy Brown Rice (gluten free) cereal with lactose free milk or rice milk and ½ sliced banana and 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds.
- EnvironKidz Gorilla Munch with lactose free milk or rice milk topped with ½ cup blueberries.
- Banana Walnut Pancakes: Namaste Waffle and Pancake Mix or Bisquick Gluten free Pancake and Baking Mix prepared with FODMAP friendly ingredients adding in ½ mashed ripe banana, 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts and cook as directed. Top with a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Green Valley yogurt (check ingredients avoid those with honey or use other suitable lactose free yogurt) top with ¼ cup Bear Naked Vanilla Almond Granola and ½-1 cup strawberries.
- Chappaqua Simply Granola Vanilla and Flax with rice milk and an orange.
- EnvironKidz Panda Puffs with rice or lactose free milk and a kiwifruit.
- Smoothie: ½ cup frozen blueberries, 3-4 ounces plain Chobani Greek* (or substitute in lactose free) yogurt blended with 2 teaspoons chia seeds until frothy (lactose content should be tolerated in 3-4 oz.)
- Vanilla French Toast: Whisk 1-2 eggs with ¼ cup lactose free milk, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and a dash of cinnamon. Using gluten free bread, dip in mixture and brown up in skillet. Drizzle with pure maple syrup or a sprinkle of confectioner’s sugar. Top with ½ cup fresh sliced strawberries and 1 tablespoon of sliced almonds.
FODMAP friendly Lunch and Dinner:
- “Rice Bowl”: scoop of brown rice, layered next with chopped Boston lettuce, cherry tomatoes, and scallion (green part only) top with grilled chicken or shrimp, and grated cheddar. Add fresh lemon juice and olive oil drizzle for dressing.
- Tuna Salad Lettuce Wraps: Tuna mixed with Hellman’s mayonnaise, lemon juice. ¼ celery stalk, diced and fresh dill, served in Bibb lettuce leaves and a side of Baked Kettle potato chips. Enjoy with 1 cup chopped cantaloupe.
- Grilled cheddar, ham and tomato sandwich (use Udi’s White bread or other FODMAPs friendly bread choice) with a side of kale salad (1 cup finely chopped kale, 5 cherry tomatoes, 1 Tablespoon pumpkin seeds with olive oil and lemon dressing)
- Tostada Pizza-Cook 1 pound ground chicken with 1 tablespoon of chili powder (choose chili powder without added onion such as Spice Appeal Brand), 1 teaspoon cumin, 1 teaspoon paprika and ½ teaspoon salt in non-stick skillet. Add ½ cup of water and simmer until cooked through and no longer pink. Top tostada shell with ¼ cup of meat mixture and sprinkle of grated cheddar cheese. Bake until cheese melts.
- Stuffed Baked Potato: Scoop out hot potato filling and mix with 1 tablespoon lactose free milk and 2 teaspoons butter. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and mash to blend and place back in hot potato. Top with sautéed red peppers and chives.
- Lean piece of grilled steak (London broil or Flank), Bibb lettuce salad with grated carrots, cherry tomatoes and orange pepper slices with red wine vinegar and olive oil dressing and roasted potatoes.
- Rice pasta tossed with fresh chopped tomatoes, garlic infused oil (don’t eat the garlic!), and fresh basil. Serve with lean, center cut pork chop and sautéed zucchini.
- Quinoa sautéed with red pepper slices, pine nuts and garlic infused olive oil. Enjoy with roasted chicken or grilled fish.
- Corn pasta tossed with garlic infused olive oil, ¼ cup feta cheese, ¼ cup drained and rinsed canned chickpeas, a few kalamata olives, chopped fresh parsley and mint or basil per preference.
- Stuffed peppers: Brown and cook thoroughly ground turkey, beef or Quorn grounds (no onion or garlic). Season with sea salt, pepper. Toss with equal amounts of cooked rice or quinoa. Blend in small amounts of feta cheese, chives and parsley. Stuff peppers and bake in covered casserole dish until pepper is soft and cheese is melted.
FODMAP friendly Snacks!
- Snyder’s of Hanover pretzels (gluten free) and cheddar cheese
- Rice cake with peanut butter, ½ ripe banana sliced and topped with 1 tablespoon sliced almonds
- Rice crackers and Swiss cheese slices
- Vanilla lactose free yogurt (Green Valley) with blueberries and 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ sandwich with Udi’s white bread with sliced chicken, Bibb lettuce and tomato slice.
- Lundberg Rice Chips (sea salt)
- Crunchmaster Multi-seed crackers, string cheese and an orange
- Baby carrots and sliced cucumber wedges with dilly dip (Blend ½ cup lactose free cottage cheese with fresh chopped dill, sea salt, pepper in blender until creamy)
- Banana slices with spoonful of almond butter or peanut butter and sprinkle of semi-sweet chocolate chips
Always read manufacturer labels to verify all ingredients are FODMAPs friendly and work with your dietitian and physician to provide appropriate medical guidance. Research is ongoing in FODMAPs and food analysis so this handout may need to be modified with advances in research.
Copyright-2013 Kate Scarlata, RDN www.katescarlata.com