Hey Friends. BBQ season is upon us…and I am always looking for a nourishing and tasty side dish to either serve my guests or bring along to a party. As you may know by now, I love any Asian infusion recipe…I am a big fan of toasted sesame oil, sesame seeds, and gut friendly ginger in my recipes… and today’s recipe… a delightful cabbage slaw is no different.
The leading ingredients in this slaw is common green cabbage, red cabbage & carrots. The low FODMAP cut-off for cabbage is 1 cup and carrots have no detectable FODMAPs. I added a little jalapeño pepper too for some heat. But, if you are not a fan, just don’t add it.
For a little more crunch and flavor, I added black sesame seeds and finely chopped salted peanuts.
This recipe was inspired by the Fusion Coleslaw recipe found in the cookbook, Food to Live By Myrna Goodman. The recipes in Food to Live by are not low FODMAP but I tweak them to fit my nutritional needs. It’s one of my favorite cookbooks!
We enjoyed this slaw as a side dish with pulled pork street tacos but it also makes a great side dish with grilled chicken or salmon. You can get really creative and make a pulled pork and cabbage slaw style “pizza”! Just heat up a pre-made gluten free, low FODMAP suitable crust( such as Udi’s frozen GF pizza crust), top with some low FODMAP pulled pork and top with the slaw. YUM!
- Serves 6-8
- 2 cups shredded green common cabbage (this cabbage has a smooth round head)
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped peanuts (salted or plain)
- 3 tablespoons black sesame seeds
- 1 jalapeno pepper, cut into thin slices, optional
- 1-2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1-2 tablespoons finely grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Asian chile sauce (without garlic), optional
- salt to taste, optional
- In medium-large bowl, mix in shredded cabbages and carrots
- Sprinkle peanuts, sesame seeds, jalapeno and cilantro (if using) on top.
- Pour dressing over cabbage and gently toss ingredients to blend.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate for 1-2 hours prior to serving.
In other news, we are working on our DDW (digestive disease week conference) video recap. I have been busy prepping other slide presentations (I have 4 more talks in the next coming months!)… so I am running a bit behind my normal schedule. Hope to post our recap on DDW next week. Speaking of videos…have you checked out For a Digestive Peace of Mind on Youtube? Toni Fiori and I have put together a bunch of informal videos on digestive health topics.
I have also participated in a few podcasts on the topic of the low FODMAP diet recently. If you care to listen in…
Click here, to hear me speaking about applying the low FODMAP diet with kids with my colleague, Jill Castle, a registered dietitian and child nutrition expert.
In other news, I had a fun visit (at my house) with one of the Boston news channels a couple weeks ago to talk FODMAPs along with one of my clients. That piece should air soon…I will keep you posted!
We are working on a ton of other very fun projects… working off the list of blog topics you all graciously provided last month. So stay tuned for some informative posts …and have a great week! 🙂