Got out my slow cooker for some warm and hearty dinner recipes.
I love when my food cooks while I am busy doing other fun things.
While I was creating this slow cooker chicken dish I am about to share with you, my son, Brennan asked why I don’t usually follow recipes. I really didn’t have a good response except that I have ‘never been much of a rule follower.’ Just my nature. My husband, Russ on the other hand, is the BIGGEST rule follower I know. 🙂
Funny how that works, right? Perhaps we balance each other out? 🙂
I did add about 1/4 tsp. chipotle chili powder and about 2 TB of lime juice to the mix and cooked in my slow cooker for about 3 hours.
When the chicken was all cooked and almost ready to serve. Brennan thought we should add a bit of cheese on top.
Recipes should always be open to last minute improvising.
Great idea! Cheese-y shredded chicken infused with lots of yummy flavors.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- salt and pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 TB oil
- 1, 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes (FODMAP followers check ingredients)
- 1 small yellow pepper, deseeded and chopped
- 1 small bunch scallions, chopped (FODMAP followers use green part only) -about 1/3 cup
- 1 large lime juiced (use about 2 TB juice)
- 1/4 tsp Chipotle chili powder (FODMAP followers I do not know if this is low-may delete or check tolerance)
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 TB chopped fresh cilantro or basil to garnish *optional
- In large skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat and add garlic clove to season oil.
- Remove garlic.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and cook about 3-4 minutes each side to brown the meat, but not cook through.
- Add tomatoes, diced pepper and scallions to crock pot that is set on low setting.
- Top with lime juice and chipotle seasoning if using and give a gentle stir.
- Place browned chicken on top of vegetables.
- Cover slow cooker and cook for about 3 hours on low.
- Take 2 forks and shred chicken.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the shredded chicken and replace cover on slow cooker for 5 minutes--cheese should melt right up!
- Garnish with fresh herbs if desired.
Are you a rule follower my nature?