I do love zucchini, do you?
I love the name, it has a bit of an Italian ring to it?
Well that’s because, zucchini comes from the Italian word “Zucca” that means squash…and ‘ini’ at the end means small….so zucchini means small squash. My father in law, Tony used to grow zucchini but these were NO little squashes…Tony grew the biggest zucchinis I have ever seen!
August in New England means that all your local farm stands are bursting with bushels of zucchini. And that’s okay with me because, really, I can’t get enough. I love these little squashes. One of my favorite ways to enjoy zucchini is in a bread…no surprise there…’cause I’ve got a bit of a sweet tooth (don’t tell anybody). But hey, adding a bit of vegetables to a sweet bread makes it healthy right?
When I get creative in the kitchen, it can go either way. Sometimes my creation is a hit and sometimes a complete flop. This time, I created a hit. Yum! Zucchini Breakfast Cake–because life is too short not to eat cake for breakfast!
I also added just a drizzle of glaze. I went for a little almond flavored glaze this time around.
And well the rest is history. I would like to say, I made this cake and put it aside for breakfast tomorrow….but instead, I had my zucchini breakfast cake right before I ate me dinner.
- 1 medium zucchini, grated (about 2 cups)
- 4 TB melted butter
- 1/4 cup oil (I used melted coconut oil)
- 4 ounce plain low fat Greek yogurt (FODMAP followers use lactose free plain yogurt if you want though the amount of lactose per serving is quite low with the Greek yogurt)
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 2 TB brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut* optional
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose or whole-wheat pastry flour (FODMAP followers use King Arthur GF multipurpose flour blend)
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds
- FOR GLAZE:
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 tsp + water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 8 x 8 square pan.
- In medium bowl, add zucchini, eggs, melted butter, oil and yogurt stirring to blend.
- Blend in sugars, coconut, and extracts.
- Slowly add in flour, baking soda, and baking powder blending until incorporated.
- Add in almonds.
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30 minutes.
- To create glaze: add confectioner's sugar, water and almond extract together in a small bowl. Whisk to create a thick-soup consistency adding more water if needed. Drizzle over cake.