I whipped up a pasta salad for a family picnic this past weekend but while I was chopping and dicing the vegetables to mix in with the pasta, I realized that I really liked the vegetable mixture all on it’s own. A nice refreshing blend of summer veggies with a lemon dill dressing and topped with savory feta….and thought this would make a great recipe to share with you.
This Mediterranean Salad can be eaten as is, topped on grilled fish or chicken or tossed into your favorite pasta or rice to make a delicious summer salad. Whatever way you choose, this mixture is quite dee—lish. The stars of this simple chopped salad are grape tomatoes, a yellow pepper and parsley.
Start with some chopped fresh curly parsley.
Dice up a nice bright yellow bell pepper.
Toss in a farmstand-fresh cucumber if you have it. Today I grabbed one at the market but went organic.
Add the diced cucumber to the chopped salad ingredients.
Create a simple dressing of freshly juiced lemon, olive oil and some salt and pepper. Mix it up with some feta, if desired. I always desire feta.
Garnish with a bit of fresh or dried dill.
What more would you want? Well, perhaps some toasted walnuts or pine nuts would make it a bit more interesting….and I do like to add some kalamata olives too.
Mediterranean Salad with Feta (FODMAP friendly)
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, cut tomatoes in half
- 1 yellow pepper, trimmed, de-seeded and diced
- 1 cup curly parsley, washed and diced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 1 large lemon juiced (about 1/4 cup juice)
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to season
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- optional add ins: 1/4 cup toasted walnuts or pine nuts to garnish top of salad (YUM!) and/or 1/2 cup pitted kalamata olives chopped and/or 1 TB chopped chives
- Mix veggies and drizzle with lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper mixing to infuse dressing.
- Sprinkle with dill and feta.
- If, desired, add 1/4 cup toasted walnuts or pine nuts, kalamata olives and chives on top as garnish.
- Serve as side salad, as salsa to grilled fish or chicken, or toss with your favorite rice or pasta to create a flavorful summer salad. (FODMAP followers use gluten free pasta)
Hope your week is going GREAT!