It’s been a while! My husband Russ retired in May and we have been exploring and adventuring in New England quite a bit. If you have any interest in our travels and highlights, please feel free to follow my new instagram account, @newenglandbests
Meanwhile, I thought I would share another recipe I posted on my @katescarlata Instagram account for you here!
This is a fun treat that is gluten free and low FODMAP…Homemade Strawberry Jam filled Pop-Tarts!
These were a “big deal treat” when I was a kid. This recipe is fun to make and eat! Enjoy!
Homemade Strawberry Jam-filled Pop-Tarts! (Gluten free + low FODMAP)
- 2 1/4 cup gluten free flour blend ( I used @bobsredmill 1 to 1 gluten-free baking flour)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder (use GF if following a gluten free diet)
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 large egg, whisked
- ~3 -5 tablespoons cold water
- Strawberry seedless jam made with low FODMAP ingredients
- Icing recipe:
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Sprinkles, if desired (nonpareils or colored sugar)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add parchment to baking sheet or use non stick baking sheet.
- In medium bowl, add GF flour blend, baking powder, and sugar, stir to blend.
- Using box grater, grate butter and add to flour mixture.
- Using hands or pastry cutter, mix into crumb-like mixture.
- Add in egg, and enough cold water to form dough that sticks together but is not sticky.
- Remove dough from bowl onto piece of parchment paper and knead several times to create well mixed pastry dough.
- Divide dough into 2 balls, cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 1-2 hours.
- Roll out dough into 2 large rectangles, about 1/4 inch thick. Cut dough with knife into 8, 3 x 5 or 3x 4, rectangles ( I made them 3x 5 and yielded 4 pop-tarts)
- Place 1/2 the rectangles on baking sheet, 2 inches apart.
- Add about 1 tablespoon strawberry jam on top of the remaining rectangles, spread jam out leaving about 1/2 inch on all sides -without jam. Place the other dough rectangles on top. Using a fork, score the sides of the pop-tart. Using a toothpick, add little venting holes on top of the pop tart too.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, edges will be just lightly browned. ( cooking time can vary- check on them at 20 minutes- and cook longer as needed).
- Let cool.
- If icing, mix icing ingredients together in small bowl with a fork to create white creamy icing. Add small amount to top of pop tart- add sprinkles if you want.
One reply on “Homemade Strawberry Jam-filled Pop-Tarts! (Gluten free + low FODMAP)“
Thank you for the idea! These were delicious! I made double what you made, maybe rolled the dough thinner? Next time I will add strawberry extract instead of vanilla, giving them a little more strawberry flavor! I made homemade strawberry jam, but it had the seeds in it. This is a keeper!!!
Comments are closed.