One of my favorite dishes of all time is chicken piccata. I love how the lemon and garlic flavors collide into pure deliciousness. Using a garlic infused olive oil makes this recipe a great option for low FODMAP diet followers. Today’s recipe is a take on chicken piccata…but made into meatballs. YEEEES, thank you!
I served these beauties over shredded spaghetti squash. A great way to up your produce quota! I am all about eating more veggies whenever possible! Using spiralized zucchini would work here too. I am not ‘anti-pasta’ by any stretch of the imagination…but when I can swap in more veggies–I try to go for it.
Russ and I loved the spaghetti squash as the base for these delicious chicken piccata meatballs.
I mixed up the meatball mixture in the morning to save time at dinner time. About 30 minutes before we planned to eat, I started to form the meatballs and browned them up.
These tasty meatballs will be on my menu rotation for sure. Flavorful and nourishing.
Are you a chicken piccata fan too?
- Serves 4
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon garlic-infused oil (I used FODY foods brand)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2/3 cup suitable gluten free bread crumbs ( I used Gillian's brand-original)
- 1/3 cup chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic infused olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup garlic + onion free chicken broth (I used FODY foods brand chicken soup base to make the broth)
- 1 tablespoon gluten free flour or cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeeze lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons capers with brine
- Garnish: 2 tablespoons flat leave parsley, chopped (optional)
- In medium size bowl, mix ground chicken, parmesan cheese, egg, 1 tablespoon garlic-infused oil, lemon zest, gluten free bread crumbs and parsley until thoroughly mixed.
- Form mixture into meatballs about the size of a ping pong ball.
- In a large dutch oven or skillet, add 1 teaspoon garlic infused oil and 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. (The butter allows for better browning of the meatballs but you can sub in olive oil, if desired).
- Add meatballs to pan. Let cook for about 1 minutes then roll over for even cooking.
- While meatballs are browning, create sauce.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, add butter, garlic-infused oil, and chicken broth, stir until butter is melted.
- In small cup, add GF flour blend (or cornstarch) and 1/4 cup water, whisk with fork to blend, and add to broth mixture; this will help thicken the sauce. Cook for 1 minute.
- Pour sauce over meatballs, and lower heat to simmer. Let meatballs simmer in sauce for 10 minutes or until meatballs fully cooked through and sauce is lightly thickened.
- Add lemon juice, capers (with a little of the brine), and parsley, prior to serving.
- Serve over brown rice, suitable pasta or spaghetti squash.