Hey FODMAPers and Friends!
In my effort to eat more veggies (most of us could use a little more produce in our lives), I thought I would whirl some spinach into a sauce (mixed with other yummy ingredients such as garlic infused oil, fresh lemon juice, walnuts and a little Parmesan cheese) to adorn some brown rice. The end result is a creamy rice dish somewhat like risotto, so I call this recipe Quick and Easy Spinach ‘Risotto’.
To simplify the recipe, I used a 10 ounce bag of pre-cooked brown rice (you can find pre-cooked brown rice in the freezer section of your grocer’s).
This tasty nutritious rice and spinach dish tastes like a creamy risotto…BUT with very little effort.
Outside of whirling a few ingredients in the blender and heating up the rice, this recipe takes seconds to prepare.
Serve as a side dish or top with your favorite protein (think… baked tofu squares, roasted shrimp, pork tenderloin slices, or even 1/4 cup roasted chickpeas) to make a quick meal. Haven’t roasted chickpeas yet? Check out my roasted chickpeas recipe here!
- Serves 2
- 2 cups baby spinach, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons garlic infused oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts plus 2 tablespoons, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1, 10 ounce package plain pre-cooked brown rice
- Warm up rice as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, add spinach, garlic oil, 1/2 cup walnuts, lemon juice, water and Parmesan cheese into blender, blending until consistency of pesto.
- Place rice in medium bowl, fold spinach sauce into rice.
- Garnish with a few chopped walnuts, if desired.
In other news, I am giving away a bottle of Scarlata Farms’ olive oil on Instagram. All you have to do is follow me and tag a friend on my Instagram feed for a chance to win (contest ends January 10, 2018). Look for the picture of me holding a bottle of Scarlata Farms olive oil in my feed. You can view my Instagram feed to the right of this post, here on the blog! The Scarlata Farms’ olive oil is outrageously good, an extra virgin olive oil that has a delightfully light and slightly fruity flavor.
Here’s to a productive (and fun) week ahead! I am booked at 2 spin classes and a core body work out this week. I normally am one to work out outdoors (walking, running, hiking)…but these freezing temps have me joining all sorts of work out classes. 🙂 I actually have learned that I like taking classes as I am working muscles that havent’ been worked in years (maybe my whole life, ha). 🙂
Next up on the blog…Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (part 2).