Looking for a tasty holiday treat? Look no further.
Today’s recipe is a yummy gingerbread whoopie pie filled with cream cheese frosting (lactose free cream cheese, that is!). This recipe is gluten free and low FODMAP.
My friend Kari sent along a picture of gingerbread whoopie pies to me recently…and I thought to myself, I can totally make those low FODMAP! With the recent testing of molasses by the Monash U group, we now know that small amounts of molasses (1 teaspoon per serving) is low FODMAP. So…I just added one tablespoon of molasses to the entire recipe–just to give it that true gingerbread flavor. This amount is way below the 1 teaspoon per serving limit!
I hope you are all settled back to normal after Thanksgiving. I am in the midst of a few school projects keeping me busy. I am also making sure I prioritize exercise during this busy time of year. I always find exercise to be grounding for me. How about you?
Next up on the blog, is a post about staying happy and healthy during the holidays. Another interesting topic I look forward to sharing soon is the role of a GI psychologist in IBS management. Stay tuned!
In other news, FODY foods and I just launched our holiday gift box collab, called the Snowed in Box. The box contains the cutest over-sized peace sign mug. This sweet mug has become my new favorite. 🙂 Learn more about this great gift box here.
(Disclaimer: I consult with FODY foods and the above links are affiliate links).
Gingerbread Whoopie Pies (GF & Low FODMAP)
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon all spice
- 1 egg
- 1 cup lactose free milk
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 cup gluten free flour blend (Such as Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 GF Baking Flour)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ounces lactose free cream cheese (I used Green Valley Organics)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- Nonpareils for decoration, if desired
- Makes 8 whoopie pies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In medium bowl, cream butter and brown sugar with electric beaters.
- Add in spices, egg, milk and molasses.
- Slowly beat in gluten free flour blend, buckwheat flour and baking soda until blended.
- Drop 16 even rounds of dough onto the 2 baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. Test with cake tested to ensure cooked through.
- Let whoopie pie cakes cool and make filling.
- Lightly beat lactose free cream cheese and vanilla extract. Slowly add in confectioner's sugar until creamy.
- When gingerbread is cooled, add about 2 tablespoons of frosting as filling between 2 gingerbread rounds.
- Sprinkle frosting with nonpareils, if desired.
8 replies on “Gingerbread Whoopie Pies (GF & Low FODMAP)“
Robin in New Jersey
Hi Kate, this looks delicious. Can anything be substituted for the buckwheat?
I would try to simply sub in 1/2 cup of the gluten free flour blend for the buckwheat.
Please just clarify, Kate, is your tablespoon 15ml or 20ml? (I’m an Australian; our tablespoons are 20ml)
The US tablespoon is slightly smaller (about 15 ml) and this is what I used in this recipe.
Hi Kate, what can I substitute for the molasses?
Perhaps brown sugar?
Comments are closed.