Fall is definitely in the air today. And I am okay with that! I like the beautiful fall New England foliage and the onslaught of the fall and winter holidays. (The impending cold winter weather, though, not so much!) In anticipation of party season, I thought I would whip of some oat-based crackers for you to try.
These are super easy to make. You will need parchment paper, a rolling pin and a pizza cutter for easy preparation. But, honestly, if you don’t have a rolling pin and pizza cutter, you can make these using your hands and a sharp knife. No problem!
The true inspiration for making these crackers was a purchase I made this weekend. A fun kosher salt blend with added wild oregano and sage from bellacucina.com. Salt blends are easy and more cost effective to make on your own, I just felt like treating myself this weekend! 🙂
I thought this flavor combo would be a nice addition to a homemade low FODMAP cracker. I used regular old fashioned oats that I pulsed in my blender to create a flour for this recipe. You can also purchase oat flour. If you are following a gluten free diet along with your low FODMAP diet, just be sure to use gluten free oats, if tolerated.
In this recipe, I added some sesame seeds just to add a little more crunch to the cracker. So very good. I hope you give this recipe a whirl.
This weekend is my low FODMAP market tour! We have a nice group coming to the upcoming market tour on Saturday! I am looking forward to meeting you all! Twist bakery is coming up with a nice treat to sample and I am filling up your goodie bags with generous donations from Barney’s Butter, GoMacro, 88 acres, Quinn popcorn and Simply Gum. There will be lots to learn and it’s always fun to hang out with fellow FODMAPers. See you there!
Oat Crackers with Sesame, Oregano & Sage
- Makes about 40 crackers, Serving size: 5 crackers
- 2/3 cup gluten free flour blend ( I used King Arthur GF multipurpose flour)
- 2/3 cup oat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup water (more as needed)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon flaked or Kosher salt (I prefer Maldon Sea Salt flakes)
- 1/4 teaspoon of dried herbs such as Rosemary, thyme, oregano or sage
- Note: you can sub in a salt herb blend (without onion or garlic ingredients), instead of salt and herb combo; I used Bella Cucina Aromatic Savory Salts with wild oregano and sage
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add parchment paper to large cookie sheet.
- In medium bowl, mix gluten free flour, oat flour, salt, water, olive oil and sesame seeds. Mixture should be dough like and not too wet to roll out (add more water or gluten free flour, if needed).
- Roll out dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper to about 1/8th inch thick.
- Using knife or cookie cutter, cut dough into small crackers.
- Sprinkle salt and herbs on top of crackers pressing gently into crackers.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until light brown on bottom (Crackers should be crunchy)