I was craving tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich on my return from Europe. A nice bowl of creamy tomato soup with a grilled cheese is the quintessential comfort food duo, don’t you think?
In Italy, Russ and I ordered the most amazing roasted tomatoes so I decided to include some into my soup recipe. We also enjoyed smoked mozzarella in an out of this world risotto dish, so I thought I might add some creamy and smoky mozzarella cheese to my soup recipe as well. This recipe is certainly inspired from our trip to Italy but really is a favorite American comfort food.
I roasted a few tomatoes with thyme and garlic oil to infuse a lovely flavor into my soup. You could definitely just roast these tomatoes for a wonderful side dish. I added a few carrots to my recipe to add some natural sweetness to the soup.
Since I purchased some delicious slow rise sourdough bread this week, we enjoyed the soup with a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich. YUMMO!
The diced up smoked mozzarella pieces are hidden in the bowl of soup. Like a special smoky creamy surprise.
- Serves: 6
- 4 medium tomatoes, quartered and de-seeded
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon garlic oil
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 28 ounce can ground peeled tomatoes
- 3 large carrots, peeled and chopped in thirds or 1 cup baby carrots
- 3 cups low FODMAP chicken or vegetable broth
- Small piece of smoked mozzarella cut into bite size pieces, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add tomatoes to baking sheet and drizzle with 1 teaspoon garlic oil and thyme leaves.
- Roast tomatoes until lightly browned, about 20 minutes.
- In large saucepan or stock pot, add ground peeled tomatoes, carrots, 1 tablespoon garlic oil, and broth and simmer over medium heat to a light boil for 20 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
- Remove tomato mixture from heat and allow to cool for about 1 hour.
- Add roasted tomatoes to tomato soup mixture and then blend in food processor or blender.
- Return soup to stock pot and simmer over medium low heat to warm up.
- Add small pieces of smoked mozzarella to soup and allow to slightly melt.
- Ladle soup into soup bowl and enjoy!