Typically, I enjoy summer squash (zucchini and summer squash) grilled or sautéed in a skillet, but last night we enjoyed the squash uncooked in a salad. This is a quick fix side dish when you don’t feel like heating up the grill or stovetop. Simply cut (washed) zucchini and summer squash into very thin diagonal slices. Toss with a lemon and mustard dressing. Top with feta, pine nuts (these 2 ingredients make everything taste special) and garnish with fresh herbs (mint, basil and/or parsley).
I hope all is well with you! This past weekend, I visited Old Saybrook, CT (the home of Katherine Hepburn) with my sister’s and Mom for a girl’s weekend away. What a cute little town! It was so nice to relax with my sister’s & mom -shop, run, relax. All good! Life is so busy…it is so important to take a little break!
This Wednesday night, I am speaking about the low FODMAP diet at the CCFA-Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America’s Boston Support Group at Massachusetts General Hospital. Here are the details/directions. The low FODMAP diet can be helpful in managing symptoms in those who have inflammatory bowel disease that also suffer with IBS symptoms. Tomorrow, I will also be touring a garlic oil manufacturing plant to learn more about commercial products that are suitable for FODMAPers. And, of course, I continue to work diligently on my slides for various upcoming talks. 🙂
On another side note, I finally, updated my subscriber list…so those of you having trouble getting my posts should be getting them now. It will be easier to subscribe and easy to unsubscribe per your preference.
And now…for the recipe of the day!
This recipe is inspired from a Blue Apron recipe. A fabulous home delivery meal service. Recipes are NOT all low FODMAP but many are easy to tweak. I imagine that a low FODMAP menu option will be available at some point! At least, I hope so!
- 2 small zucchini squash (washed, trimmed)
- 1 small summer squash (washed, trimmed)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil OR garlic infused oil
- 1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard (FODMAPers choose one without onion)
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Fresh herbs: parsley, mint, basil as desired
- (I used 1 TB fresh chopped mint and parsley)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In medium bowl, combine zucchini and summer squash.
- Whisk together in small bowl lemon juice, olive oil, mustard, salt and pepper, to taste
- Drizzle dressing over squash.
- Toss in feta, pine nuts and herbs, as desired.
- Serve immediately.