Hello Friends and FODMAPers…I have a great fall inspired recipe for you. Delicious cheesy pumpkin & spinach stuffed shells.
I found large-size gluten free Tinkyada pasta shells for stuffing on Amazon. The low FODMAP ingredients in these gluten free pasta shells are simply brown rice, rice bran and water.
I stuffed the shells with a mixture of lactose free cottage cheese, canned pumpkin, Parmesan, chopped spinach, garlic infused oil and a dash of salt and pepper (and one large egg too!)
After I filled the shells, I added a little shredded mozzarella and a little more Parmesan on top.
Cooked up and ready to dive in…
You certainly can get creative and use this same mixture to make lasagna too. It’s a nice meatless option that has an extra boost of nutrition via the spinach and pumpkin!
- Serves 3-4; about 5-6 shells per person
- 18 large pasta gluten free shells (I used Tinkyada Brown rice pasta grand shell)
- 1 1/2 cups lactose free cottage cheese (I used lactaid brand)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 tablespoons garlic infused oil
- 1 cup fresh spinach, packed, then chopped (you can sub in basil or use 1/2 cup of basil and spinach as another option)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 1/2 cup finely chopped canned/boxed tomatoes (I used Pomi brand; select brand without onion and garlic)
- 1/4 teaspoon basil
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
- Sliced fresh basil or spinach for garnish, optional
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While pasta is cooking, prepare shell filling. In medium bowl, add and mix lactose free cottage cheese, canned pumpkin, 1 tablespoon garlic infused oil, and spinach or basil (or combo of both), 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, one egg & salt and pepper, to taste. Set aside.
- In medium bowl, add tomatoes, the other tablespoon of garlic infused oil, basil, oregano and mix; set aside.
- When pasta is cooked (should be al dente), rinse well.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In 8 x 8 pan, add about 2/3 of the tomato sauce mixture to bottom of pan.
- Start filling each pasta shell with about 1 -1 1/2 tablespoon of cheese spinach mixture; when shell is filled add to square pan with the filling side up. Repeat with remaining shells.
- Drizzle the rest of the tomato sauce over shells, top with the remaining Parmesan cheese, and mozzarella cheese.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove foil, return to oven and cook for another 5-10 minutes until sauce is lightly bubbling and the cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle top with sliced basil or spinach, if desired.