Hello from Vienna! My son, Brennan and I have been having a great time in this beautiful city. Although, I am working a lot, we were able to sneak in a quick train ride to Budapest, Hungary! Here I am in front of the Parliament building in Budapest…acting like a crazy tourist. 🙂
Another view of the beautiful city of Budapest.
Today, I thought I would share with you one of my favorite recipes, a delightful Chicken Rice Bowl with Thai Peanut Sauce! This dish makes a colorfully nutritious and tasty lunch or dinner. As you know by now, I try to make every mouthful count in both taste and nutrition, especially for my low FODMAP diet followers that already have a moderately restricted diet. You can opt to use rice vermicelli noodles or rice as the bottom layer in this tasty dish. I added purple cabbage and julienned carrots for good nutrition and fiber (within the FODMAP cut-off amounts, of course!) In fact, Monash University app mentions that carrots have NO detectable FODMAPs making them a great option at any meal! I have always been a fan of Thai peanut sauce and creating a low FODMAP version is easy peasy…and super delicious, of course!!
I added cilantro, black sesame seeds and a smattering of sunflower seeds for crunch and flavor. Not everyone likes cilantro…I get it… so feel free to leave it out. Due to genetic differences, cilantro can taste like dish soap to some people. Gross. But, not me… I LOVE it! If you are wondering where you might find black sesame seeds, you can purchase online or perhaps at Whole Foods Market or other specialty food stores. I found them at my local Whole Foods Market.
For this recipe, I used the rice vermicelli noodles. I love to have them on hand to add to my spring rolls and soup recipes. They cook up in no time (just cover with hot water) and are a great low FODMAP staple.
I hope you week is going great. Next week, I am hoping to get some share some gut health topics with you. So…I hope you check back in!
- Serves 4
- Peanut Sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 cup smooth or crunchy peanut butter
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 teaspoons sesame oil
- Rice bowl ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut in bite size pieces or strips
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 8 ounces dry rice vermicelli noodles or 4 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup thinly sliced red cabbage
- 5 large carrots, cut with julienne peeler, or cut into thin strips
- Black sesame seeds, garnish (optional)
- Fresh cilantro, garnish (optional)
- Sunflower seeds (optional), about 2 teaspoons per bowl
- In small bowl, whisk together rice vinegar, soy sauce, lime juice, brown sugar, peanut butter, red pepper flakes (if using) and 1 teaspoon sesame oil. Set aside
- In large non stick skillet, add 1 teaspoon sesame oil and chicken strips over medium heat.
- Sprinkle coriander evenly over chicken and stir fry until chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes, set aside.
- While chicken is cooking prepare rice or rice vermicelli noodles per package directions.
- In 4 serving bowls, layer evenly about rice or rice noodles, topped with 1/4 cup carrots and 1/4 cup cabbage. Top with about 3 ounces cooked chicken. Drizzle top with peanut sauce and garnish with black sesame seeds,cilantro and/or sunflower seeds, if desired.