What!?! An omelet in a mug? Done in minutes? Yes, please.
This recipe was inspired by a post done by tone-and-tighten.com that made my mouth water. Seriously.
I love quick fix recipes that do not require multiple pans and bowls. Well, what I am really trying to say is, I like recipes that don’t make a mess. My husband and kids will be the first to admit, and I reluctantly agree, I am big mess in the kitchen. I can’t help myself. 😉 For this reason, I love recipes that don’t require multiple cooking instruments. And one of the key reasons I also love my One Skillet Mexican Chicken and Rice Fiesta recipe so much. One skillet, less mess!
This omelet in a mug is so easy and nourishing. I used boxed egg whites to simplify the prep of this recipe… but you certainly can sub in fresh egg whites too. You can also prep the vegetables in advance and have them on hand ready to prepare this omelet during the morning rush.
And please check out my podcast with Dr. Susan Mitchell titled: Will a Low FODMAP Diet Help You? click here to listen.
- 4 egg whites, lightly beaten (If using boxed egg whites this is 3/4 cup) OR use 2 whole eggs instead.
- 2 tablespoons fully cooked ham or chicken bacon, in bite size pieces (I use the al fresco chicken bacon, 1 strip per mug)
- 2 tablespoons fresh baby kale or spinach, sliced (I used kale)
- 2 tablespoon tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon shredded cheddar cheese
- Dash of oregano or basil, if desired
- salt and pepper to taste, if desired
- Lightly oil the inside of coffee mug.
- Toss the ingredients in the mug and stir (ingredients should fill mug about 3/4 full)
- Pop into the microwave and cook for 1 minute. Check for doneness-- will likely need another minute of cooking time to ensure the egg is cooked and cheese is melted.