Hello FODMAPers and Friends,
You are gonna love this recipe. Winter weather and slow cooker recipes go hand and hand, right?
This stuffed bell pepper recipe is filling, healthy and family friendly (and of course, low FODMAP!)
I made this recipe last week when I knew I would be rushed at dinnertime. I infused flavor to the ground chicken via chopped fresh rosemary, a little celery (don’t worry, I kept it under the Monash U limit per serving), garlic infused oil and diced tomatoes. Oh….and I topped the bell peppers with a little extra shredded cheddar to give it some melted cheesy goodness. 🙂
I stuffed the bell peppers with the uncooked meat mixture. No need to brown up the ground chicken first…which is a great time saver! Just mix the ground chicken with all the flavorful ingredients and pop right into the bell pepper. I opted to cook on high for about 3-4 hours–but you could cook on low for a 5-6 hours if that works better for your schedule.
This recipe was a big hit…and a welcomed flavorful low FODMAP meal on a busy evening!
For a Greek inspired Stuffed Bell Pepper–see recipe option at the end of the recipe post….which includes feta, Kalamata olives and fresh oregano!
- 4 medium to large bell peppers (color of choice)
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
- 1 medium stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic oil
- 2 cups cooked rice (I used the frozen Trader Joe's packages)
- 3 cups diced tomatoes (use 1 cup in chicken mixture and the rest as the 'sauce')
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons scallions (green part only), thinly sliced
- Cut top off of bell peppers and deseed the inside of the pepper.
- In medium bowl, mix ground chicken, rosemary, garlic oil, rice, 1 cup diced tomatoes, and 1/2 cup shredded cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add equal amounts of meat mixture into bell peppers.
- Place 2 cups of diced tomatoes into the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add peppers to slow cooker keeping them upright.
- Place slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours or until meat is cooked through.
- 5 minutes before serving, add remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on top of cooked bell peppers then top with sliced scallions.
- Drizzle tomato sauce from bottom of slow cooker on top of pepper.
- Alternative option: Substitute 1 cup feta cheese for the cheddar cheese, use 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano instead of rosemary, and add 3/4 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives for a Greek inspired stuffed pepper