I am a fan of citrus zest. And so this week, I added some lime zest to my baked sweet potato fries. Lime and sweet potatoes are a marriage made in heaven.
I partially cooked my sweet potato so that it would be a bit easier to cut into fries. But, you can do this recipe with an uncooked sweet potato too–just add about 10-15 minutes or so to the cooking time.
I trimmed some of the potato skin–but since the skin give a nice dose of fiber, I left most of it on the potato.
I placed the potato slices in a medium bowl and added about 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, pepper and added some lime zest. I gently mixed to cover the potatoes in all the seasonings and then tossed them onto a cookie sheet. Bake them up for about 30 minutes or until desired crispness.
FODMAPers: Sweet potato has a cut-off portion of 1/2 cup during the elimination phase of the low FODMAP diet. I find that many of my patients are able to add back mannitol containing foods. BE sure to do the re-challenge phase of the low FODMAP diet! After the 2-6 weeks of elimination, test your tolerance to FODMAPs. This is best done guided by a dietitian knowledgeable in the low FODMAP diet.
Since 1/2 cup of sweet potato might not be enough to fill your belly, you can double the recipe and use 1 sweet potato and use one Yukon Gold potato. NO need to feel hungry after a meal!!
- Serves 2-3 FODMAPers
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or grapeseed oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook sweet potato microwave for about 3-4 minutes to soften up a bit for easier slicing, if desired, being sure to pierce skin of potato with fork or knife several times before cooking. Let potato cool for 30 minutes so you can handle it.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Slice potato into French fries, 1/2 inch by 3 inch strips.
- Add potato slices to medium bowl and drizzle with lime juice, zest, oil, salt and pepper.
- Place potatoes on cookie sheet lined with parchment or lightly oiled.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes --to your desired crispness. Add about 10 minutes to cooking time if using uncooked sweet potato.