I had the pleasure of meeting Toni Fiori, a University of Massachusetts nutrition student with great energy and a love for food and health. I knew she would provide a nice blog post for you….and she delivered. She created an amazing looking dish, stuffed eggplants with tomatoes, quinoa, ground chicken, herbs and a nice smattering of Swiss cheese. This dish looks ridiculously good. I can’t wait to make it myself!
Hi, I’m Toni Fiori, a soon to be graduating nutrition student, from the University of Massachusetts- Amherst! I have been following Kate’s delicious blog and I am greatly inspired by her expertise. I have found myself pretty intrigued by the low FODMAP diet and jumped at the opportunity to create a recipe for Kate’s blog. I hope you all enjoy it… My roommates and I certainly did!
First, I cut an eggplant in half to get two shallow boats, and carved out the inside to make room for the stuffing. I couldn’t let the delicious insides go to waste, so I chopped up all the excess eggplant in plans to add it to the mix.
Quinoa could stand alone to be the protein and base of this meal, but I couldn’t resist adding some ground chicken, for it makes a stuffed vegetable all the more satisfying. So I boiled some quinoa, cooked up my ground chicken with a touch of oil, and got back to my eggplant. I combined the chopped eggplant, diced tomatoes and chicken. I generously seasoned the dish with ground black pepper, but I am a little bit of a pepper fanatic, so feel free to add as much pepper as you wish (and tolerate.) I infused some more flavors with basil and thyme, and obviously did some taste testing, mostly to ease my watering mouth. To finish my stuffing, I mixed in the quinoa and some fresh spinach. Mmmmm….
And as my cherry on top, I added some Swiss cheese. This combination glued well and had all the flavors and textures to make an amazing dish.
I bountifully stuffed the eggplants, sprinkled the rest of the cheese on top, and put them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes as one final step.
My roommates could smell the aromas from all over the house and all came wandering in for sampling. The stuffed eggplants seemed to be a hit! It proved to be a great winter’s night dinner, tasty and pretty simple too 🙂 Will definitely be made again!
- 1 large Eggplant, cut in half and insides scooped up and chopped in bite size chunks
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2-2 cups quinoa (cooked)
- 1 10 ounce can diced tomatoes and juice (FODMAPers check ingredients)
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup Swiss cheese ( ¾ cup for stuffing) the rest for topping
- 1-2 Tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 teasppon thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare eggplant as directed.
- In large saucepan, add ground chicken and oil and cook over medium heat until crumbled and cooked through, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add in diced eggplant, tomatoes and quinoa.
- Add in spinach and 3/4 cup Swiss cheese until melted.
- Add basil, thyme, pepper and salt.
- Stuff mixture evenly into eggplant 'boats'
- Top with leftover Swiss cheese.
- Place eggplants on cookie sheet or in casserole dish and place in oven for final cooking.
- Bake for about 25 minutes until eggplant is fork tender.