I hope you all had a wonderful week. My week was extremely busy. My mom fell last Friday and ended up in the hospital. She is recovering beautifully, thankfully. She is an 87 years old, mother of nine and is extremely resilient. But needless to say, it was a tough week for me. And because she needed me, my poor kitchen did not see much of me this week.
Last night, I had a few minutes and decided I would try to whip up a little dessert. I had seen a recipe for lemon brownies that piqued my interest. And of course, the nutritionist in me tried to figure out what fruit could be a good add in. I opted for blueberries.
But I bet some grated zucchini could be a good add in too–lemon zucchini brownies–hmmmm?
I spread about 1/2 of the batter in the 8×8 pan and then sprinkle with blueberries…then topped with the remaining batter.
I finished the recipe with a little lemon glaze and sprinkle of confectioner’s sugar…but both are completely optional.
So…other important news….
I did a talk about FODMAPs at Lahey Clinic in Burlington, Massachusetts this past Tuesday—spreading the good word about this diet and educating dietitians so that there are more knowledgable practitioners to educate people on the diet specifics. I received great feedback on my talk (Yay!) –so that always makes me happy. Here is the first slide of my presentation.
After a long week working my tailbone off and helping my mom…the sweetest man in the world, Russell T. gave me this gorgeous bouquet. Ladies do love flowers and I am fortunate that my husband knows that….and takes the time to buy me some.
Really, it is small gesture that can turn someone’s day around….a quick email, a note in the mail, a bouquet of flowers…
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
We are gearing up for Hurricane Sandy here in New England…hopefully it won’t be as bad as they are predicting. Have a wonderful weekend.
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature (probably could sub coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup flour (FODMAPers use King Arthur GF multipurpose or your favorite blend)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup frozen wild blueberries (preferably organic)
- Lemon Glaze:
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/2 TB fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease 8 x 8 pan.
- In medium bowl, add butter and sugar and beat with electric beaters until creamy.
- Beat in vanilla and eggs.
- Slowly add in flour, lemon juice and zest.
- Add half of the batter to the pan and top with blueberries.
- Spread out the rest of the batter on top of blueberries.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean.
- Prepare lemon glaze by whisking confectioner's sugar and lemon juice.
- Drizzle over top of brownies.