Cooler weather makes me want to bake.
I like adding vegetables and fruits to my favorite recipes to maximize the nutrition in my baked treats. Today’s vegetable add-in…CARROTS.
The baked carrot walnut doughnuts were tasty too.
I used King Arthur Gluten free Multipurpose Flour but if you are not following the low FODMAP diet whole wheat pastry flour would be a nice high fiber alternative.
I hope you are embracing the changing of the season…and take time to notice some of Mother Earth’s beauty this time of year. And while the temps are cooler….enjoy some baking!
To help you keep organized with your menu planning, leave a comment and enter for a chance to win a this cute little kitchen pad! Would love to hear about some of your favorite fall flavors and recipes.
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons crushed pineapple
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup flour such as whole wheat pastry flour (FODMAPers use King Arthur Gluten free multipurpose flour or favorite appropriate blend)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup walnuts, finely diced
- Cream cheese drizzle
- 3 Tablespoons block-style cream cheese at room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- If making doughnuts, mix about 2 Tablespoons sugar with dash of nutmeg and cinnamon and sprinkle over batter in donut pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Fill mini muffin with paper liners (makes about 35-40 mini muffins or 20 mini muffin and 10 mini doughnuts.)
- In medium size bowl, add in carrots, oil, sugar, egg and pineapple and mix to blend.
- Add in dry ingredients in small batches, cinnamon, flour and baking soda.
- Fold in walnuts.
- Fill muffin tins and/or doughnut tray with batter about 3/4 full. (Sprinkle sugar mixture over doughnuts)
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Bring muffins to room temperature and add cream cheese drizzle, if desired.
- To make Cream Cheese Drizzle: (This small amount of cream cheese is low in FODMAPs)
- Whip cream cheese in bowl using electric beaters. Slowly add confectioner's sugar and vanilla.
- Drizzle over muffins when they are cooled. The key is that it's just a drizzle--not a major frosting glob!