I picked up some Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Mix to experiment with this week.
I created the cutest tart shells and cookies with the same recipe. I have to say the tart shell idea is wicked cute but I did find it a bit hard to remove them from the muffin tin.
If you want to keep this recipe easy-peasy…then definitely just roll out and make cookies.
But the tart shells were so dang cute.
I just added a stick of butter, an egg and about 1/3 cup of corn meal to the cake mix.
Rolled it out use a small scalloped edge cookie cutter about 3 in in diameter and placed on the back side of a generously oiled mini-muffin tin.This cute idea was courtesy of my Mom who is always scouring magazines to get new recipes. When these little cups were thoroughly cooled, I removed from the tin and filled with a bit of whipped cream.
Then topped with some chopped strawberries and blueberries. So cute, right?
I saved half the dough in the fridge and the next day whipped up some cookies with the same dough. This time I made up some diamond shaped cookies and added just a sprinkle of cinnamon sugar with my Trader Joe’s Cinnamon Sugar grinder!
These cookies are delightful…but SWEET…so suggest a one cookie limit if possible!
Here’s the recipe. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups Bob's Red Mill GF Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 stick of butter, room temp.
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup corn meal
- Preheat oven to 350 degress.
- Gently blend butter and 1 cup of cake mix. Slowly add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of mix. Beat in egg and corn meal.
- Roll out dough on parchment paper using extra mix as 'flour' to avoid dough from sticking or use a bit of brown rice flour to about 1/3 inch thickness.
- Cut in desired shape--use about a 3 inch round cookie cutter if using backside of small size muffin tins. Be sure muffin tin is generously oiled.
- Bake about 7-8 minutes or until lightly brown on edges.
- Allow cookies and tart shells to fully cool before removing from muffin tin or cookie sheet.
- If making tarts, use small amount of whipped cream -1 TB and top with 1 TB low FODMAP fruit of choice.
- If making cookies, bake as is or sprinkle with small amount of cinnamon or cinnamon sugar.