“The hand that rocks the cradle usually is attached to someone who isn’t getting enough sleep.”~ John Fiebig
Today we celebrated with the many Mom’s in my extended family with a gathering at our my home. Lot’s of yummy foods: a balance, of course, with a mixture of “treats” and healthy foods. For starters, I made the most colorful fruit salad ever.
Before the big spread of food was ready to eat, my neice, Gretchen’s son, Declan decided he should take in some serious relaxing time.
As a gift to all the Mom’s and Moms-to-be, there were 8 in total, I gave handmade soap from Molly’s Apothecary in Medway. Lavender lemon, oatmeal lavender and lilac hand crafted soaps. Ella get’s her hand on a yummy Italian cookie! Girls just love their sweets!
Happy Mom’s Day to all! And if you want a special day treat, make my Mom’s famous coffee ring!
Mom’s Coffee Ring
Rich and tasty! To be enjoyed on special occasions! Is this healthy? No not a bit, except for the walnuts which are very good for you!
- ½ cup butter plus 1/3 cup, at room temperature
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 packet yeast
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, well-beaten
- 3 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Frosting ingredients:
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 4 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped walnuts.
- In medium size saucepan over medium heat, melt 1/2 cup butter in milk. Set aside until lukewarm (not too hot, not too cool.)
- Transfer milk mixture to large mixing bowl, add yeast and sugar and 1 cup of sifted flour. Add eggs, then the remaining flour. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside in warm area to rise for 1 ½ hours)
- On floured board or parchment paper, roll out dough into rectangle about 18 inches by 12 inches.
- Spread 1/3 cup butter onto dough evenly, top with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- Roll dough up from long end, so you have a 18 inch rolled log. Create a ring by attaching ends of roll-wet your fingers with water if necessary to attach.
- Place on cookie sheet carefully, and using kitchen scissors cut into ring about every 3 inches exposing rolled layers of cinnamon sugar.
- Let rise again about 1 hour.
- Bake in 350 degree over for 15-20 minutes.
- When coffee ring has reached room temperature, Make buttercream frosting. Cream butter, sugar, milk and vanilla with electric beaters until you have creamy frosting. Frost ring and garnish with walnuts.